Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a "Hotspot"?

Well, this is embarrassing. For, what, years, I have seen "hotspot" and never bothered to figure it out. There are several discussions about problems with HotSpot but not a literal definition of what it is and how to work it. If there is a discussion, lease link me. In switching to Mavericks yesterday and going through their help site, I realized I may be missing something. I'll save my other questions as I go through the AD discussions, like "Hand Off" and "iPhone and iMac", etc Thanks!

MacBook Air 11" Mid 2013.-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 8:06 AM

A "hotspot" is just another name for an area with a wireless network signal with Internet access that usually requires you to log on and "agree" to the terms of use.

If you take your laptop down to the coffee place to log on to the wireless network there, you are connecting to a "hotspot". Same if you take your laptop to the bookstore and log on there.

When you bring your laptop back home and connect to your wireless network, you are connecting to your own personal "hotspot".

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Tom Perkins1

A "hotspot" is just another name for an area with a wireless network signal with Internet access that usually requires you to log on and "agree" to the terms of use.

If you take your laptop down to the coffee place to log on to the wireless network there, you are connecting to a "hotspot". Same if you take your laptop to the bookstore and log on there.

When you bring your laptop back home and connect to your wireless network, you are connecting to your own personal "hotspot".

Feb 22, 2015 9:45 AM in response to Tom Perkins1

Not sure what a favorite personal hotspot might be unless it is simply referring to a location that has a strong wireless signal with a reliable Internet connection that might "remember" you, like a network that you have set up yourself, so you do not have to input a user name or password, or "agree" to the terms of use each time that you connect to the network.

A hotspot may or may not be "free". For example, DFW AirPort has a number of hotspots all over each terminal, but finding a free one is another matter.

What is a "Hotspot"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.