Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup item in storage space - How can I free that space up?

I deleted an ungodly amount of pictures stored locally on my MacBook that had also already been imported on iPhoto, thus taking up unnecessary storage space. I deleted around 15 GB and that was indeed reflected in the decreased number of gigs under the label Photo on About this Mac -> Archive. However I noticed that in turn, the Backup item increased accordingly. I restarted the computer assuming it would clear up all deleted files once and for all, but Backup is still 17.7 GB as per the picture (I'm Italian and so is the language of my laptop), and it was only 2 or so prior to deleting those image files permanently. How can I reclaim that space? Where are all those deleted files that seem to still be clogging storage? Thank you for your help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 9:33 AM

6 replies

Feb 22, 2015 9:55 AM in response to EnricaPelv

15GB is like 5% and you still have more than 50% of your storage space free.

I would not say your photos and such are really clogging it up.

If you want faster disk access and performance then an SSD upgrade is the way to go.

Also along with TimeMachine, what is your backup if that drive fails? consider a 3rd storage device, or cloud backup (not just a mirror of what your photo library holds)

Feb 22, 2015 10:55 AM in response to The hatter

Illaas: thank you! That helped both understand how these things work and take action accordingly.

The hatter: yeah clogging was definitely an overstatement--I still have 50+% of space available. What I hated was deleting a good amount of files and then seeing another number go up. I have no other storage device besides my TimeMachine drive but you're right, I should absolutely get one!

Feb 22, 2015 11:57 AM in response to EnricaPelv

I was looking to see if your drive was seriously clogged as in low low on free disk space and in dire need of that 15GB! Glad not.

When I bought Office it came with 100GB SkyDrive storage which I do use.

Too often when deleting files to free up space people don't first make sure they are on a backup - even a 32-64GB flash drive is "something" though not the best.

Some people mistakenly install junk like "CleanMyMac" only to create problems, sluggish and trouble emptying the trash. Be surprised how many. Medicine and "cure" is poison and worse than the illness was.

Should all problems be so benign and mild! And yes deleting files only to see that the deferred TimeMachine backup file has grown an equal amount.

Does TM tell you "there are pending backups?" or anything? Daily reminder would be nice. I just found too often lacking features or user friendly preferences to manage (like: never backup a newly inserted or mounted volume without ASKING and TELLING would be a start). I know there are 3rd party ways or Terminal but I prefer not to. Even changing backup only when idle, only every n-hours.... long list wish list.

Which is why http://www.bombich.comCarbon Copy Cloner is my primary backup and archive, and T.M. is secondary at best.

Feb 22, 2015 2:02 PM in response to The hatter

You just made me realize that I might have effed something up here--now all I have are pictures on iPhoto, and the related iPhoto Library file in my Mac's Images folder, but I no longer have actual physical copies of every single picture because I just deleted them permanently a few hours ago. I have the iPhoto pics and the TM backup. To be honest I stopped saving pictures on the computer besides importing them into iPhoto years and years ago (it was a legacy of my being a Windows user prior to this MacBook; I liked having actual folders), and the pics I deleted today date back to five years ago; for all the newer ones, I never had anything besides what's on iPhoto.

I assume this is exactly what you're telling me to avoid when recommending to have something other than "just a mirror of what your photo library holds"?

I make sure to run a TM backup every week or every other week or so. I should probably do it more often that that. The drive is a far cry from clogged, but my laptop could still use a little more speed (though I'm pretty sure the two are not related), and I really really like order 😝

Backup item in storage space - How can I free that space up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.