Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to stream from computer apple TVs

Everything worked fine a week ago, but now I cannot stream to my Apple TV's from my computer. They are all on the same network, I've tried to reboot and even erased the Apple TV's the re-setup, but when I browse on the Apple TV to "Computer", it's stuck on the spinning asterisk and never loads the movie. Everything else works, I can stream Lifetieme, Netflix, etc. I just can't stream internally.

I have the typical setup, running ISP router, NAT with a internal 192 network. The Apple TV's are all WIFI except for one which is directly hooked up to an Ethernet cable.

I recently replaced my ISP router, not sure if that would be a factor since all it does is assign IP addresses via DHCP. My Apple TV"s can obviously see the movies since it shows the titles of all of my home movies when I browse to it, but won't play the movies.

This ***** since I have around 100 of my kids football games that usually review in my Mediaroom, now they won't play.

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 8:06 AM

6 replies

Feb 22, 2015 5:12 PM in response to adamconnor22

Adam, here's one thing to keep in mind. Think of it this way. There is a WAN and a LAN. The WAN is a wide area network, so think of your connection to outside of your house, or buildings to buildings in different geographical areas. The LAN on the other hand, is a local area network, so think of everything behind your router in your house. Here's what happens. You have an IP address given to you by your ISP, this is a public IP address and accessible to the outside world. This IP address is assigned to your router outside facing interface; we'll call this your "gateway".

Internally, your router runs what is called NAT; this is Network Address Translation. Your ip addresses inside of your house are private to your house only. Your IP address inside your house is not available outside and the only way to get to that IP address would be if you forwarded incoming traffic to your inside IP's to specific ports.

Example, port 80 is http. Port 20 is FTP.

All that being said, inside of your house, I'm not seeing a reason why ports would be blocked internally. If someone knows differently, I'd love to know.

Feb 23, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Desmond Lewis Smith

So interesting enough, the problem appears to be my ISP router. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but here is my solution. By default, my ISP router ran DHCP and gave my whole house IP addresses. I added my old Linksys Router, therefore having my ISP router give my Linksys router an IP (it's a class C network, 192.168.1.1) address. I then setup my Linksys to distribute class A IP's. (10.1.1.1)

I had to cycle every box in my house since they were all on the original Class C network. Once this was done, I am not able to access and stream my movies again to my Apple TV's.

The interesting part is that nothing changed by the router and I can't see any other problems besides the loss of the ability to stream movies from my PC to my Apple TV. My ISP sent one of their engineers to my house today, we'll see how that goes since they tend to know just enough to get around...

Feb 24, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Desmond Lewis Smith

Final resolution. So I have a POE switch, this means it's managed and has an IP. When I replaced to ISP router, I should have rebooted the POE switch. I cycled it and all is well. It was an internal issue. Long story short, to resolve internal issues, first isolate the issue. I did so by removing items 1 at a time, then re-adding them to see what would break it.

Not able to stream from computer apple TVs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.