Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

calibrating the 5K monitor

Im a photographer and just switched from PC to iMac. I print on Fine Art paper using a Epson 3880. My prints are darker than my display. How do I calibrate the monitor? Do Calibrate the monitor? any advise?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 10:52 AM

7 replies

Feb 23, 2015 12:01 PM in response to LPaul71

In addition to the calibration what color profile are embedded in your image files. If they have the Adobe RGB profile the images will tend to print darker and a bit muddy on inkjet printers. You would want to use the Camera RGB, Generic RGB or the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile.

You can use the ColorSync Utility to compare the profiles to see the differences.

User uploaded file

Jan 31, 2016 7:30 AM in response to LPaul71

Hi Paul,

Are you using a completely colour managed workflow?. Do you have custom profiles for the papers you are printing on? Are you able to print the same image from your PC and the Mac and if so, are they different? If they are I'd look carefully at the colour settings you have in your apps and see how they compare.

As far as I know, when you have your monitor calibrated (possibly your camera(s) also, the idea is consistency in colour accuracy all the way through your workflow. The brightness you talk about may simply be the brightness of the monitor setting. If you use Photoshop, select the info panel and then move the cursor over part of an image and see the actual colour values. Now increase or decrease the brightness of your monitor by using the controls on the keyboard. You will see that the actual colour values do not change so arguably, the brightness of your monitor should not impact your prints.

I've just acquired 5K iMac and am going to have to go through this calibration process myself again. On previous macs I've been able to produce accurate prints by calibrating my camera (5DIII) using X-rite Passport, then a hardware calibrator for the monitor, and finally have custom profiles made for the papers/ink that I use. Any colour adjustment required I do in Photoshop.

calibrating the 5K monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.