Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can HD with 10.6 go into mac w. 10.10...

Just got a MacbookPro early 2011 Intel Core i5 with Yosemite and only 320 GB HD. My old MacbookPro early 2006 Intel Core Duo (grafic card died) has a 500 GB HD with OS Snowleopard and a ton of software which I don"t won"t to upgrade right now (eg. FC 6, working on big project). From what I understand the 'new' Mac can run OS Snowleopard. I'm planing on putting the old HD into the new Mac...... is there any reason I shouldn't or be cautious about this.

Is the OS only on the HD or is deeper ingrained somewhere too....

Thanks so much....

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 11:10 AM

2 replies

Feb 22, 2015 11:16 AM in response to vimlan

The new Mac can only run the Snow Leopard version it came with. You need to use the original discs that came with the computer. You cannot install a retail Snow Leopard on it. Furthermore, the larger and older HDD will be slower than the smaller one installed in the computer.

If you want a larger hard drive, then just buy a new one that supports SATA III - 6.0 Gb/s. Take a look at options from OWC or DataMem. Probably the best drives will be from Seagate or HGST. Toshiba also makes an excellent set of 1, 2, and 3 TB notebook drives if you are more interested in storage than speed.

can HD with 10.6 go into mac w. 10.10...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.