Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having trouble Shuting down a G5.

The G5 doesn't shut down having just added a new User ID.

We set one up on a Mac Book Pro the other day and no problems, but I've just found out that this computer is technically obsolete, so we have to refer back to Apple Centre, But still we will have to power down somehow in order to move the machine.

iPod nano, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Brand new iPod Nano.

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 11:52 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Kr1st1anHo1brook

When I log in as a user on MacBook and another user is logged in, the machine won't shut down or restart because of this message : There are currently logged in users who may have unsaved changes if you restart this computer. Restarting or shutting down the computer will quit applications in other sessions where documents have not been saved. The data will be lost. Enter an administrator's name and password and click restart, or chose cancel to dismis.😎

To resolve this issue I tried Mac Chat support.

I was told my G5 Spec :

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5

Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2

Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 2

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 3 GB,

was obsolete, however issue was still not resolved.

I was told that apple do not offer support on obsolete however the issue still not resolved.

This error message was actually copied from my G5 but I have got the same issue on my Macbook Pro.

additional info on this issue. I was donated this mac from work since it was pretty much my mac and was no longer being used! Due to this I never really was the administrator to this machine. (Unlike my macBook which I purchased and set it up Curry's PC World and I have all the passwords). The G5 Was set up I presume by SPS who I work for and GBM who we still have contact with - (the apple people). At the time the that the G5 was set up I did mostly the bread and butter work on the machine i.e the typesetting and Photoshop and not the setting up. Problems were solved as they came up, they were needed to be fixed, in order that I could finish my jobs and thus carry on working.

Feb 28, 2015 9:54 AM in response to Kr1st1anHo1brook

As long as it's not OSX Server you're running, you can make a new admin account. on the G5.

Reset OS X Password Without an OS X CD...

http://theappleblog.com/2008/06/22/reset-os-x-password-without-an-os-x-cd/

Admin Hack...

http://www.hackmac.org/?q=node/4

Starts up like the first time you buy a new Mac, but after filling in all that info again, you should have access to the computer and the other Users & files will still be there... give the new User a different name than an existing one.

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-withou t-an-installer-disc/

I am having trouble Shuting down a G5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.