Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone took control of my wife's iphone

she has an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.2. At the time we were on a public wifi and she had Vpn software running, but someone was remotely opening apps, and playing music. I know we can upgrade the ios to 8.1.3, but we wont be able to restore her phone for a couple of weeks. I'm using the same Vpn software on the same public wifi and have had no issues. I'm using iOS 8.1.3 though.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 1:13 PM

Before you assume the phone has been hacked (highly unlikely), take a look at a few other things. First, a bad charger or charging cable, strange though it may seem, can cause some of those symptoms. Make sure you're using either an original Apple cable or one that is certified as "Made for iPhone". Try a different cable if possible. The second likely possibility is a bad digitizer. That would be something that your local Apple Store could check for you. Have you tried resetting your device by pressing and holding the Home button and power button until the apple appears?

If your iPhone is not jailbroken and you have not attempted to install apps from any sources other than the App Store, the likelihood of malware is almost infinitesimally small.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Mlloyd1234

Before you assume the phone has been hacked (highly unlikely), take a look at a few other things. First, a bad charger or charging cable, strange though it may seem, can cause some of those symptoms. Make sure you're using either an original Apple cable or one that is certified as "Made for iPhone". Try a different cable if possible. The second likely possibility is a bad digitizer. That would be something that your local Apple Store could check for you. Have you tried resetting your device by pressing and holding the Home button and power button until the apple appears?

If your iPhone is not jailbroken and you have not attempted to install apps from any sources other than the App Store, the likelihood of malware is almost infinitesimally small.

Feb 27, 2015 5:27 AM in response to Mlloyd1234

Mlloyd1234 wrote:

As Meg St._Clair and TJBUSMC1973 mentioned, unless the iPhone is jail broken it's unlikely that someone can take control of an iPhone remotely. It turns out that the charger was the cause of our issues.

Glad you got it sorted out. Isn't that just the weirdest thing? I've known for quite some time that it was a possible cause but until my car charger got damaged last summer, I'd never seen it for myself.

Someone took control of my wife's iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.