Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture photo adjustments have disappeared

Running Aperture 3.6 on a MBPr 10.10.2.

For some inexplicable reason some photos in an Aperture project seem to be missing all adjustments/edits I have done. What's even more weird is that these adjustments are still visible in "Browser" view mode but not in viewer mode. For instance some my black & white images appear B&W in browser view until I click on the image. Then for a brief moment, the B&W (edited image) gets loaded (and shows as B&W) but quickly reverts back to its original state, sans edits. Exiting this viewing mode back to "Browser", I can see the edited image again 😠.

I've tried exporting the an image (version) to the desktop only to find the original image was exported.

I've tried repairing permissions and repairing the database for Aperture (command-option when starting the app). Nothing. Any suggestions on what the issue is or how to correct it (short of editing all the affected images I mean)?

Cheers,

Mark

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 2:53 PM

8 replies

Feb 23, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Neo911

To add some more info, I just realized I moved the affected images from one project to a new project - not sure this would have anything to do with the issue. Also in browser view, the little tag in the lower right corner to indicate the photo has been edited is absent, even though the photo itself still looks like it's been edited. Also tried to lift the adjustments but again, all are absent.

It's a total of 300 images and hours of editing 😟. At this point I think they're gone forever but I would still like to know what the problem is (is anyone knows) in an effort to avoid this in the future.

Actually, I did just think of trying time machine backups...

Feb 23, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Neo911

When did this problem start? Did you perhaps run any duplicate cleaner app? Some of them, like Clean My Mac 2, sometimes link the edited versions incorrectly and you will see a similar problem as you are experiencing.

If you have a backup, try to restore the library from the backup.

In addition to the repairs you tried, you could try to rebuild the thumbnails (Photos > Generate Thumbnails). That will link the current versions to matching thumbnails and probably remove all traces of your edits, since your current versions seem to be without edits.

You may want to copy the thumbnails with the edits out of the Aperture library, for future reference. That will make t easier to recreate your edits. Ctrl-click the Aperture library and copy the most recent subfolders of the "Thumbnails" folder to the Desktop.

Also try rebuilding the Aperture library, but not without having a working backup.

Feb 24, 2015 7:02 AM in response to léonie

Problem began I think, once I moved the photos over to a new project (maybe a week or so ago). I had some difficulty doing moving them and had to do it several times as some of the photos remained while others got moved. I know there were some duplicates in there that were created when editing originally. I was finally able to get them all moved. I believe it this problem only affects the photos that were moved. So my guess is something happened during the move and all edits were lost.

I just tried to rebuild the thumbnails as you suggested but all that did was remove the edit from the thumbnail in browser view. When I click on a photo it still opens with the edit present but after about 1 second or so the edit disappears. If I go back out to browser view and back in, the edit is no longer there. If I close Aperture and reopen it, the edit is gone (from the thumbnail in browser view - for the photos that had the thumbnail rebuilt) but again, when I click on the photo, it shows up for a brief moment before disappearing. The edit tag continues to be absent.

I haven't had a chance to check out the TM backup but I know I have added other photos to Aperture since then and have also edited them. So I might either export these new photos or try to copy out the affected photos from TM and just import them.

Cheers

Feb 28, 2015 11:12 AM in response to laur-kalevi

I'm just re-editing all the affected photos.

I've decided against using Time Machine to replace the Aperture library since that posed a few problems: I've added and edited quite a few photos since the issue began. Which poses the question of what to do with these (new additions) so as not to lose them. I could export these photos and replace the Aperture library from TM and then re-import the new photos, but I don't know which exact date to go back to to get the edits back. I would also have to export both originals and the edited versions to have the original pics and the edited ones. Also I believe some of the 300 edits were done after a TM back up (since I only back up once every 3-4 weeks while we're on the road travelling), so I'd only recover some of the edits anyway, since the next back up has the problem.

I do have online backups but they are connected to Aperture, so they too have lost the edits. Hope that all makes sense.

Hope you are able to recover your edits.

Mar 1, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Neo911

Hi Neo,

in my case Curves and Levels are affected, the rest adjustments seems not affected. Please see attached image, on the left side is correct and on the right side affected adjustments. At the moment I re-editing them, when I need an image for kind of use, for example to print.

What makes me worry, as I am not sure what exactly bring up this changes, Aperture upgrade or OS upgrade - it can be happen again!

With Best Regards,

Kalevi

User uploaded file

Aperture photo adjustments have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.