Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto transfer of photos from iphone to iMac

I tried to export 1200 pics from iphone5 to iMac in iPhoto. photos seemed to transfer and I deleted from my phone at prompt. now i go in iphoto and these "new" event "folders" are empty. Where are my pics? I looked in icloud and I see 999 in "my photo stream" and most appear to be the pictures I was working with. How do I get them to my event "folders"? I am afraid my computer will sync with the cloud and I will loose my photos. Please advise.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 10:32 PM

7 replies

Feb 22, 2015 10:57 PM in response to kristiefromrb

OK, so do you mean they are in your iCloud Photo Library beta? Are you seeing them on iCloud.com?

If so, then they won't also sync to iPhoto. iCloud Photo Library beta places all of your photos into an album called All Photos on your device. You no longer have a Camera Roll album, and it is that album that would sync with iPhoto. So, if you are using the iCloud Photo Library, that is why the photos didn't sync with iPhoto:

iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ - Apple Support

Post back with any questions,

GB

Feb 22, 2015 11:19 PM in response to gail from maine

I'm sorry, I am not clear about iCloud. I do not know what the "icloud photo library beta" is? I have never gone to icloud.com.

In iPhoto down the left side I have main headings of: "Library", "Recent" and "Shared". Under "shared" it says "iCloud" and if I click on that I see "My Photo Stream" and that is where I can see my photos, or at least 999 of them. I know these are at least in part the photos I was exporting today because I see some of the pictures I took today.

I am also wondering if the number difference between the 1200 +/- photos I tried to export and the 999 I see in iCloud is because of any videos? Of that 1200+/- pics I was exporting from my phone several could be videos. Will iphoto hold my videos too? I thought that it did?

Thank you for your help. I am wondering if I am too inept to understand your advise this way and maybe I should make an appointment at the apple store?

Feb 23, 2015 12:44 PM in response to kristiefromrb

You are not inept at all 🙂 There are nuances that confuse everyone!

I don't think I asked this question right off....on your phone, what album are these photos and videos showing under. Knowing that would be a major help.

When you indicate that you are seeing the photos in your iCloud backup. Where are you seeing these photos, exactly?

If you have Photo Stream photos showing on your Mac, then you are signed into iCloud on both your iPhone and your

Mac, and you have Photo Stream turned on for both of them. This allows your Mac to see photos that your phone has taken via the Photo Stream, which is a cloud service that specifically captures those photos for sharing between devices and computers. The cloud only keeps up to 1 month or up to 1000 photos at a time.

Once you have let me know the answers to these questions we can go from there!

Cheers,

GB

Feb 27, 2015 2:22 PM in response to gail from maine

Thanks so much for your help Gail, some of the points you made helped me better understand iPhoto and icloud. I ended up going to a store and getting help at the genius bar. They could not figure out what had happened so they had to restore my phone from the cloud to the day before the problem started. I lost a few minor things from 3 days (texts, photos) but got most of my "lost" photos restored back to my phone. I have not yet imported them to my computer (a little chicken!). I also signed up for one to one classes so I am going to spend some time learning more about iPhoto so I can better control my photos.

BTW something kind of weird - They restored my phone on Tuesday and it still says it is being restored. I am sure it should be done by now! It is plugged in and on wifi every night so not sure why it hasn't finished the process. The only reason I am even aware of this (cuz the phone seems to be working fine) is that it says I have a software update to do and when I go to that window it says at the bottom "you can install this update when your iphone is finished restoring from the icloud backup." I have another appointment next week so I figure I will deal with it then.

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate that there are people like you out there helping to calm people like me when we panic!

Feb 27, 2015 3:52 PM in response to kristiefromrb

That is weird. If the phone is working fine, then the restore has completed. If it hadn't you wouldn't be able to use it....

Rather than potentially creating more confusion, and unless you have an issue that you would like to address right away, it might be best to let you follow through with your current path.

Thanks for the kind words 🙂, and for posting back with your info. Just curious, did you end up turning off iCloud Photo Library beta on your phone?

Cheers,

GB

iphoto transfer of photos from iphone to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.