Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Display Issues

Hello,

It's a bit difficult to describe my issue but I'll give it a go. My MacBook Pro display recently started showing random vertical lines of magenta, cyan, and green. The lines move like static on a television. The orientation and color change based on the image colors, details, etc. Viewing solid colors or images with less detail seems to alleviate the issue but only if the majority of the screen stays within a certain range. The more detailed the content being rendered the more severe the issue becomes. Only in certain instances such as playing a video game will an intermittent black blinking effect start which can primarily only be observed at the bottom of the screen. I initially believed the GPU was failing. However, the Apple Hardware Test completed with no such problems detected. I took a screen capture and viewed it on another device but the image appeared to be fine. I can't see what else it could be other than the display is failing. I found an article concerning a GPU firmware update for my notebook which exhibited identical issues so I can't completely rule out the possibility of firmware. But again, the screen capture displayed perfectly fine on other devices. I just wanted to gather some input before I set out on repairs. I would be grateful for any ideas your willing to share.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Apple Hardware Test - All OK.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Reset SMC

Disk Utility - Verified Disk, Repaired Disk, Verified Permissions, Repaired Permissions. (Discovered many errors all of which seem to have been repaired).

Deleted Partitions

Reinstalled OS

(I've attached an image taken with my phone).

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 5:54 PM

2 replies

MacBook Pro - Display Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.