Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Boot Camp drivers

To start, I own a refurbished 15" Macbook Pro with OSX 10.8.5 on it. The Macbook is a 15" mid 2012 model and I've had it for a little less than a year now. Today I tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit via Boot Camp. The install went fine and I can boot into Windows without a hitch, except I can't right click, nor can I hear any audio (among other things). I researched online and realized I need to install the appropriate drivers, so I saved all the drivers that were provided by Boot Camp onto a flash drive and tried that. Windows popped up the error saying "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running..."

I researched that and realized that the version of BC on my Macbook may not be the appropriate one needed for my Macbook model and I found out that I need version 5.1.5621, so I downloaded all of that and tried to install it and sure enough, I get the same error.

What do I do? According to Apple this is the version of BC that I need, yet it won't work, and I have tried at least 4 other versions as well with zero luck (getting the same error every time).

On my old Macbook which had Snow Leopard on it, it was simple as can be, just insert your OS disc and boom all the drivers were installed fine, but since Mountain Lion doesn't come with an install disc, I can't do that.

Can anyone please help me, this is really frustrating especially considering all I am really trying to fix is the audio issue. Right click doesn't bother me since I use an external mouse most of the time. Is there possibly a way to download the audio driver separately? I was trying to do that but can't figure out which one I need.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), null

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 8:10 PM

1 reply

Feb 23, 2015 1:43 AM in response to georgeisabamf

You reference two different machines a Macbook Pro and a MacBook (Last Model is Mid 2010). Assuming it is a Macbook Pro, from Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621is the correct version.

System Requirements

• MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2011)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch & 17-inch, Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, & 15-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch,15-inch & 17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch and 15-inch, Early 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012)
  • iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2011)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2012)
  • iMac (21.5-inch) Early 2013
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Can you try Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers?

Every time you try a different version, and the remnants of the old drivers are not cleaned up, you are compounding you problems. If you want to avoid this further and have no information worth saving from the current installation, use BCA (and no other utility) and remove Windows and re-install it.

BC drivers are automatically and silently installed from the USB after the Windows installation completes (and causes an additional reboot).

Can't install Boot Camp drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.