Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5s texting error: senders mixed up, texts disappear

Ok, I searched for my issue and couldn't find that it had been covered. My wife and I each have a new 5s, fully updated, through Verizon. We both have our own AppleID on each phone. Her phone has recently begun mixing my texts with her sister's texts.

1) SMS texts from me, if they go through at all, appear on her phone as coming from her sister.

2) Actual texts from her sister (different carrier, not an iPhone) cannot be opened (we're up to 21 of them being indicated).

3) My wife was able to get Siri to READ her sister's actual texts out loud once, but it wasn't easy. Siri kept trying to read my texts (which were the only ones visible).

4) Contact info for everybody is correct and regular phone calls work fine.

5) iMessage between wife and I seems to work ok right now.

6) I cleared and restored her phone using iCloud and it had no effect.

7) To make matters even more confusing, SOMETIMES messages DO come through from her sister, then soon afterwards they completely disappear.

8) Tech at Verizon store was baffled too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 7:39 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2015 10:12 AM in response to emeast2002

Same issue. iPhone 6 with Verizon. SMS also mixing up two people and disappearing their texts while still showing them as unread when I restart my phone. Drew = I can only see my own texts; his responses end up under Sean. Sean = my texts to Sean and both their responses and Drew's old texts. Searching for Sean via text search pulls up Sean's most recent text but when selecting it I'm returned to Drew's old texts with my newest texts under Sean's name. It's hard to even keep track of who's getting what and when they reply I have no idea which person it is because they're both replying under Sean's name with Drew's texting history. ????

Mar 5, 2015 10:56 AM in response to negativity'sCrown

So, correction:

1. All texts from Sean & Drew appear under Sean's text stream.

2. Texts to Sean and texts to Drew arrive at their correct destinations.

3. Every text they send adds to tally of unread texts even though they've been read and responded to.

4. When I restart my phone it places all my texts to Drew & Sean under Sean's text stream and also deletes some of my texts and all of their previous responses. The unread text number however continues to climb.

5. Tried deleting their text histories and contacts and then re-entering them but all that led to was #1 above.

6. Tried using iMessages for Sean who has an iPhone but no difference there besides text color.

7. Also a little disappointed to see my old pessimistic high school Apple username has survived the years. Thought that was long gone...

I posit that we or our phones are in the Twilight Zone and only a well-learned moral can help us now.

Mar 5, 2015 1:32 PM in response to negativity'sCrown

Ah, nice to to know I'm not alone. I actually got through to a Verizon tech who worked with me through a process of elimination that ultimately solved the issue. The solution? Delete ALL texts, individual and group, from all contacts involved then delete all involved contacts. Begin re-entering the contacts' info. Once all contacts heve been re-entered, some of the deleted texts might reappear. In my case, the unreadable texts finally showed up too. Not sure of the logic there, but it worked.

Good Luck!

5s texting error: senders mixed up, texts disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.