Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages no longer sending sms texts on Macbook Pro Retina running Yosemite

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013) running Yosemite 10.10.2. Starting this February I have no longer been able to send sms text messages (texts to non-iphone users). I haven't changed any settings so I'm not sure why this feature has stopped working. I've tried my best to problem solve and search for solutions but I've come up empty. Any ideas? Thanks!

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 7:00 AM

Hi lzawacki,

If you are not able to send SMS messages from your MacBook Pro, check the settings for this Continuity feature in the article below. Then restart your Mac and test.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6337

SMS

With Continuity, all the SMS and MMS text messages you send and receive on your iPhone also appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch. Even if the person you’re communicating with doesn’t have an iPhone. And regardless of what phone they have, you can reply from whichever device is closest to you, including your iPad or Mac. You can also initiate a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, or Calendar.

User uploaded file

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2015 7:00 AM in response to lzawacki

Hi lzawacki,

If you are not able to send SMS messages from your MacBook Pro, check the settings for this Continuity feature in the article below. Then restart your Mac and test.

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6337

SMS

With Continuity, all the SMS and MMS text messages you send and receive on your iPhone also appear on your Mac, iPad, and iPod touch. Even if the person you’re communicating with doesn’t have an iPhone. And regardless of what phone they have, you can reply from whichever device is closest to you, including your iPad or Mac. You can also initiate a conversation by clicking a phone number in Safari, Contacts, or Calendar.

User uploaded file

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Apr 8, 2015 12:01 PM in response to lzawacki

hello,

i'm having same issue or weirder. when i'm trying to create/send a new message-- either iMessage or SMS-- FROM my macbook, it often (randomly) won't pull up the name of the contact, or if it does it's 'red' and says 'this person isn't a registered iMessage user' or 'can't send'. but if i send a message to same person from my iPhone 6, the message shows up on my macbook (continuity) as the phone NUMBER, not the name of the contact.

i've made sure all my settings are correct in preferences and in my iPhone, but for whatever reason, there seems to be an issue with continuity or sms from my macbook.

any ideas?

Nov 1, 2016 5:01 PM in response to judysings

My wife upgraded her phone last week. She discovered that her new phone's SMS messages would no longer work with her Mac. Looking at settings and comparing them to mine, I saw that SMS was not turned on on her phone. I turned it on. Now she can send messages from her phone to a SMS phone, and she can still send messages between her Mac and iPhones. But she can't use her Mac to message to a non-iPhone. Before the upgrade she could.

Her iPhone has "Pat's Computer (Mac)" enabled under settings > Messages . Text Message Forwarding.

Her iPhone has her phone number, @icloud.com address, @mac.com address and @me.com address set up the same as mine (with "Start New Conversations from" set to her phone number.

All operating systems are up-to-date.

Messages no longer sending sms texts on Macbook Pro Retina running Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.