Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VHS tape transfer to Mac

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best software package for transferring my old VHS taps on to my Mac and possibly for eventual download onto DVD ?

I have looked into it myself, but it seems like a mine field! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 1:37 AM

5 replies

Sep 22, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Duncan34

Just a shot in the dark, as I used to convert VHS to Digital quite a bit.
If you have a miniDV camcorder, you should be able to input the VCR to that, and then connect your camera to the computer. ...so the camcorder serves as the converter...or "bridge" as some call it.
I would use Final Cut Pro to capture the converted footage as it came into the computer. I'm sure other, more basic video apps will capture it, too.
I wish I still had the miniDV camcorder because I need to convert VHS now...without having to spend $100+ for a new converter(which most of them don't work well, as I've read).

VHS tape transfer to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.