Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run two 2560x1440 monitors (dual link DVI) on a new Mac Pro?

I have two Monoprice Zero-G IPS monitors, which can run at resolutions of 2560x1440 using a dual-link DVI adapter. This is what I am currently using on my old 2008 Mac Pro.

If i get a new model Mac Pro, could I continue this arrangement at the max resolution by using two Thunderbolt/Minidisplay port to Dual link DVI adapters (and, I assume, using two of the USB ports as I do now)?

Frankly, I dont need the power of a new Mac Pro but my old one is long in the tooth. I'd get a retina Macbook and use it as my desktop, but I cant think of any way to run both monitors at full resolution on the Macbook Pro. I dont want to run them at HDMI resolution.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 10:37 PM

10 replies

Feb 23, 2015 7:48 AM in response to fcarrano

Officially, Apple reports that the Retina Display MacBook Pro models can support two external displays up to a 2560x1600 resolution via the Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 ports or one display with a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 via Thunderbolt and one display up to a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 (1080p) via HDMI.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-retina-display-faq /macbook-pro-retina-display-how-to-manually-switch-graphics.html#extdisplays

the other thing to understand is that the USB ports are not used for data for most displays -- only for power. Users have run the adapters with a USB iPhone charger. In the case of those Apple displays, the USBs ARE used, but only to set the brightness.

Feb 23, 2015 7:48 AM in response to lllaass

Id have to check what card is in my 2008 Mac Pro; it's something I added back in 2010. It currently runs both my 2560x1440 monitors via DVI without a problem. the Mac pro itself is showing its age however, even after upgrading to an SSD. This is why I'm looking to get a new Mac. The new Mac Pro is more than I need, but I do want to be able to continue running both monitors at full resolution.

Feb 23, 2015 8:00 AM in response to fcarrano

Memory prices for a 3,1 2008 have gone down, and gotten better, $100 for 16GB.

The limits are: the processors you have are usually not something you would, making it 'unique' in being the only Mac Pro model that has been limited.

Graphic cards are easy to upgrade - some require 10.8.5 and above.

The most popular GPU upgrade had been the Apple ATI 5770 $249 while today there are other options, any of which will drive two large high resolution displays.

Mac Edition cards: EVGA GTX 680 (or flash PC version), AMD 7950 (again other PC card options and flashing).

You can even run two 5770s to drive 4-6 displays.

The only displays you won't get are Thunderbolt type displays.

Storage: even there you can throw in a SSD that offers 10x the performance and 900MB/sec writes which makes a remarkable difference.

Feb 23, 2015 8:57 AM in response to lllaass

The hatter is leading an interesting charge in the direction of these really fast PCIe-mounted SSD drives. The adapter costs an additional US$30, which is about what you end up paying for a 2.5-in adapter for an SSD on a SATA sled. Those really fast PCIe SSD drives themselves are a bit pricey. For users who demand the very fastest performance, that is well worth the cost and complexity.

But if the complexity or cost seems overwhelming, an SSD on a Drive sled is still a BIG improvement. Establishing a boot drive with ANY SSD is so much faster than the "everything on one Rotating Drive" approach it will make your head spin.

Feb 23, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Adapters go from $9 to $54, the latter having heat-sink which is not needed in an open cMP.

Some support both as in either or but not two at the same time, SATA interface on the PCIe afapter, or an M.2 type

While other PCIe "solutions" exist they are not OS independent or machine, the XP941 suffers from none of those concerns as it is bootable in all Mac Pro 1,1 thru 5,1, and is the only one for 200-7 models (and 2008 are iffy) so you can 'take it with you' if you move to a new cMP.

Old controller, you need two SSDs in RAID0 to get 900MB/sec writes.

Does not appear to be any of the real issues of PCIe slot and bus master, outside of you would exclude the 1x slot in the 2006 of course!

The hardest part? getting these tiny M.2 blades, which are ~ 1" x 3.25" and have a tiny screw, on the PCIe adapter.

250GB SSD today are ~$120 + many do want SATA III PCIe (to get 550MB/sec and allow continued use of 4 x SATA II drive bays) runs ~$80-299. In some cases you then need a 2nd SSD. So if you want speed (vs size) then $240 + $100 and the $300 for XP941 256GB isn't bad.

Finally, look for an Apple blade on ebay if running Yosemite - they vary, some are 2x (slow) M.2s and you want 4x but any are probably 700MB/sec and cost $400-700. No need with Apple part to worry about TRIM.

Comparing 128GB SATA II $83 + $15 adapter vs PCIe XP941 128GB $140 + $24 is a 'toss-up' in cost but not performance, and one frees up drive bay and uses PCIe slot. (Generally 250GB are faster and better, the 128GB use to have 135MB/sec writes and $40 extras for 550MB and double storage makes sense, you never want an SSD to get down to 20% free, and you want to have 11% set aside for over-provisioning).

So in a way you can get 1000MB/sec like nMP for $175-300 in any Mac Pro, and new faster blades are on the horizon offering 1400MB/sec.

Kind of amazing, that M.2 support is in that old EFI all along waiting 😉

Can I run two 2560x1440 monitors (dual link DVI) on a new Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.