Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Connectivity

I am running an Early 2009 20" iMac ( 2GB RAM) with OS X Yosemite. I am using an early Time Capsule for backups and a BT HomeHub 4 as a router. Back ups

appear to be working normally.

The only changes to my system that I have made recently was to download the Memory Clean App. (that shows by the way that I need to increase the memory as the memory indicator in the toolbar sometimes turns red indicating that I have less then 25MB available!)

Just recently the internet connection has been dropping out for no apparent reason. When I check the Airport icon at the top of the screen it shows no internet connection even though my BT HomeHub is ticked to show it as available with a full strength signal. When I checked the Network Pane in System Preferences it showed that my wi fi had a self assigned IP address and could not connect to the internet. I have run a diagnostics check and now have a zip file on my desktop. Am I meant to send this to Apple - if so how?

Could anyone assist me please using simple terminology that I might understand! Many thanks.

Phil Lowther

iMac

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 2:22 AM

19 replies

Feb 23, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Phil Lowther

If you want apple to help you on such an old computer you will need to pay for support.

The diagnostic file is therefore useless.. however the utility will give you a simple list of issues.. if any were found.

The file on the desktop can be junked.

User uploaded file

There is another function buried in the diagnostic, and while Assistant gives you mostly generalised rubbish the Utilities is excellent and works really well..

Open the Wireless Diagnostic but do not continue. Go to the top menu..

So simply click on the utilities. Another window will open.

User uploaded file

On the main screen then you can kill the Assistant Window.

With the utility go to Wi-Fi Scan.. therein lies info that is crucial to getting some idea what is going on..

Of course I am not running Yosemite.. which IMHO is barely past Alpha stage development. And therein is most of your problems.

User uploaded file

Do the WiFi scan and see if your wireless is working at all.

Apps like Memory Clean can be 90% useless.. and load your computer with spamware.. spyware.. maybe not viruses but they pester you forever and ever more.

If you upgrade installed Yosemite onto a working computer and then started having issues.. you can pretty much guess where the problem is.

I have a long list of recommendations to fix it.. but perhaps it is best if you are finding this hard.. do a screenshot of the wifi scan and post to me.

If it fails then the issue is indeed Yosemite and we can work from there.

2GB is very short memory.. even in 2009 apple was hoping to extract more money from you with a memory upgrade.. you desperately need more RAM.

However it might be better to think about it.. a 2009 computer is well and truly due replacement. Buying old style memory (forced to replace the existing RAM) might cost you $100 (whatever that comes to in UK Pounds).. 8GB is kind of min these days. If the computer breaks down shortly after that will be a waste. And running it on Yosemite is a bad idea all round.

For now post your wifi scan screenshot and clean out all the current wireless names you have stored under the network preferences in wireless.. Advanced, WiFi, Preferred Network.. remove the lot.. then reboot the computer and do another search for the wireless when the computer comes up..

Reset the TC to factory might help.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

See if you can then get anywhere.

Feb 24, 2015 12:19 AM in response to LaPastenague

Reference to my earlier reply with screenshots. I should tell you that since I posted my original query that the computer has worked without any faults whatsoever. I am however coming to the view that I should just upgrade to a newer iMac with better memory.

As a side issue can I remove Memory Clean from my computer by deleting it to Trash from the Applications Folder?

Many thanks for your help. (I haven't yet completed any of the other actions on your first reply)

Feb 24, 2015 1:43 AM in response to Phil Lowther

Memory clean. Any of these kind of apps are always a pain to get rid of.

https://uninstallmacapps.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/delete-memory-clean-how-to-del ete-memory-clean-permanently/

Follow those instructions.. no luck you might need to take more radical action.

These programs do not help.. they are pseudo help.

I should tell you that since I posted my original query that the computer has worked without any faults whatsoever.

It is like when you sit next to the fruit tree that doesn't bear fruit sharpening the axe!! 😁

Your network setup is slow but working.. I don't see anything wrong.. but you have to many signals on the same channel.. and some are open.

I presume they are guest networks from the bthub but they will not help and improve speed.

You are also not using the superior wireless on the TC.

How old is the TC? What model? Do you have its wireless off??

Feb 25, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Phil Lowther

Ok.. I can see the problem.. you have the worst possible setup of the TC in existence.. you cannot use the TC wireless because it is now a client.. it has no wireless for any other device.

You need to plug the TC into the BThub by ethernet.. and use TC in bridge and create a wireless network.. then you will get somewhere.

Your current setup achieves nothing .. it is slow and you are not making use of the TC.

Do a factory reset and start over.

Bridge TC.. plugged into the BThub by ethernet ..

Then you will get somewhere.

Feb 25, 2015 3:15 AM in response to Phil Lowther

There is no way you can gain anything by having the TC in a different room.. put it in the same room as the BThub and plug it in with a short patch cord.

You need to understand what is happening..

All files copied to the TC.. are copied via the BThub.. so if your computer is sitting next to the TC.. it is going .. computer--BThub--TC.. and then reply goes TC--BThub--computer.

So you are doing the worst possible wireless setup.. your TC is no use whatsoever where it is .. it is just exacerbating your bad wireless.

If you cannot move the TC into the room with the BT hub for logistical reasons.. then use EOP adapters or buy a second apple wireless router.. perhaps a second hand Gen5 Airport Extreme which are cheap but have excellent wireless.. better than express and cheaper than a TC.

Plug that into the BThub and then use Extend wireless not join wireless.

Feb 25, 2015 6:05 AM in response to LaPastenague

Very many thanks for your help with this matter.

As a matter of interest, as I am only using my Time Capsule as a means of backing up my system, should I have connected it to a different wireless channel, other to that I am get through my BT Home Hub Router, I am thinking of the Apple Network 61a46f shown in my Network Preferences WiFi pane above.

Feb 26, 2015 1:59 AM in response to Phil Lowther

Sorry I have been finding it hard lately to track threads so I am slow to answer some of your posts.. but I am trying.

IMHO start over fresh new clean setup. .

The TC should be plugged into the BT Hub and should produce a wireless network.. the setup is bridge on the Network and Create a wireless network..

You must have it plugged in by ethernet to the BT hub.

Apple Network 61a46f shown in my Network Preferences WiFi pane above.

This is more likely a historical step in setting up the TC and is irrelevant. It no longer exists in the scan.

Internet Connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.