Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

epub error ITMS-90228 - images over 4,000,000 pixels (but they aren't?)

Hi there, please forgive what I think is a very novice question but this is my first epub..

I'm trying to create a fixed layout epub from Indesign CC 2014. The design was originally a print document and I am exporting from a version of this file for epub.

I have downsized all of the images to under 4,000,000 pixels, however when trying to upload to the apple e-book store (this step is being done by someone else through itunes producer) there is an error message "ERROR ITMS-90228: "Images larger than 4,000,000 pixels are not allowed in ebooks. The following images are too large:"

The error message lists 3 images which are various sizes between 3,500,000 pixels and 280,000 pixels.

The conversion settings I am using for the epub export are png @ 150 PPI.

I have been using the ecan crasher found on another forum to remove the encryption file that was also causing an error on the itunes upload.

I don't have any competence in understanding the rest of the script/ error report, and am wondering if there is something obvious to more experienced users I have done wrong in creating this file to cause these error messages? I would massively appreciate any advice available!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 5:22 PM

I'm getting the same error message and I can't find the image that it saying is too large. Have you had any luck we're fixing this error?

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:14 PM in response to mac-newbie

Dear All,

I received the 90228 error and discovered that I had one large pdf file which I corrected, but then couldn't find the second image that was supposed to be too large. After reading other comments from various online sources, I realized that I had included a rasterized first page as a cover image (the epub was created with Adobe InDesign CC 2015) in my epub, so I was actually submitting two cover images when I should have only been submitting one. After going back into InDesign and unchecking the box that says "rasterize first page as cover image", the book was accepted -- hooray! Perhaps this will help you find your problem -- I hope so.

Small Town Gal

Oct 31, 2016 12:53 PM in response to g.walker

Same issue for several images, and solved. :-)

1) duplicate your eBook

2) change the extension to "zip"

3) decompress the file using StuffIt expander (from Mac OS you may get a "recompressed" file ending as ".zip.zip")

4) browse the folder created when decompressing and browse to find the "image" folder

5) check for all the images larger then the limit of 4,000,000 bytes

6) Probably some images larger than the limit are in PNG file format (PNG does not use the compression to reduce the file size). In this case, if the original image does not have transparency, the frame containing the image is larger than the image. Reduce the frame containing the image to the image size or press "cmd-alt-c" to "fit the frame to content" and then crop the image if needed.

7) If there is some jpeg images larger than the limit of 4.000.000 bytes try editing in Photoshop to lower the resolution; alternatively try blurring a little some less important areas if there's some part of the image less important than other. If the trick of blurring does not work, choose a higher compression level or a lower resolution while exporting.

I hope this help! :-)

epub error ITMS-90228 - images over 4,000,000 pixels (but they aren't?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.