Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly iTunes can not find my iPad over WIFI

Suddenly, my iTunes (12.1.0.50) can not find my iPad Air 2 over WIFI. I have read what seems like 1000's of posts about this but none of the solutions works. I have deleted iTunes and reinstalled it. I have powered down the iPad, I have switched to another router. iCloud and Drop box sync okay, it is just iTunes. I have to plug the iPad into the computer to sync from and to iTunes.

What am I missing???

Rachael

iPad Air 2-OTHER, iOS 8.1.3, 64 GB wi-fi only

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 8:18 AM

Hello Rachael,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see you've already done some great troubleshooting steps for trying to resolve this issue with being unable to use iTunes Wi-Fi syncing. There are however some more steps I'd like you to follow through, in order to get this issue resolved.

Check your network connection

• Make sure that your Wi-Fi network has an active Internet connection.
  • Make sure that you connect your iOS devices and computer to the same network over Wi-Fi.
  • Check for network configuration changes that may interfere with syncing:
    • VPN configurations
    • Extending the Wi-Fi network through multiple wireless access points or routers
    • Guest networks or other security configurations that limit access between devices
    • Routers that configure different networks for different frequencies such as 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz
    • Connecting the computer over Ethernet
  • Wake up your computer and open iTunes. If your computer is asleep or iTunes isn't open, the device may not sync.
  • Update your router. If you're using an AirPort or AirPort Time Capsule, you can learn more about firmware updates. If you're using a router from another manufacturer, contact the manufacturer to ask about available updates.

Check for network interference

If you see performance issues when you sync over Wi-Fi, something may be causing wireless interference:

• Microwave ovens
  • Cordless phones
  • Physical barriers, such as metal walls or distance between your computer, base station, and iOS device

Try the following to reduce network interference:

1. Move your iOS device and computer closer to the Wi-Fi router or base station.
  2. Check for sources of potential interference.
  3. Remove your iOS device from any case, stand, or attachment.
  4. Open Safari and try to load a webpage.

Check firewall settings

If you enabled a firewall on your router or computer, make sure that your computer and iOS device can communicate.

• Follow these steps to use the built-in firewall option with iTunes on your Mac.
  • For third-party firewalls and security software, see the developer or manufacturer for assistance.

Mac computers use port 123 to set the date and time automatically. Incorrect date and time on a computer or iOS device can cause connection issues. If you don't know if your router has a firewall or if the required ports are open, follow these steps:

• Enable Wi-Fi syncing for additional iOS devices on your network to see if they have the same issue. (See the previous steps to enable Wi-Fi syncing for additional devices.)
  • Test your device on a different network. If the device works on another network, the issue may be your router or network configuration. Contact your router manufacturer or Internet service provider for additional troubleshooting.

If you use another security or firewall software on your computer or router, you can troubleshoot security software issues, contact the manufacturer, or check the documentation to learn how to open TCP ports 123 and 3689 as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353.

iTunes 10.5 and later: Troubleshooting iTunes Wi-Fi syncing - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Rachael Jellicoe

Hello Rachael,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see you've already done some great troubleshooting steps for trying to resolve this issue with being unable to use iTunes Wi-Fi syncing. There are however some more steps I'd like you to follow through, in order to get this issue resolved.

Check your network connection

• Make sure that your Wi-Fi network has an active Internet connection.
  • Make sure that you connect your iOS devices and computer to the same network over Wi-Fi.
  • Check for network configuration changes that may interfere with syncing:
    • VPN configurations
    • Extending the Wi-Fi network through multiple wireless access points or routers
    • Guest networks or other security configurations that limit access between devices
    • Routers that configure different networks for different frequencies such as 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz
    • Connecting the computer over Ethernet
  • Wake up your computer and open iTunes. If your computer is asleep or iTunes isn't open, the device may not sync.
  • Update your router. If you're using an AirPort or AirPort Time Capsule, you can learn more about firmware updates. If you're using a router from another manufacturer, contact the manufacturer to ask about available updates.

Check for network interference

If you see performance issues when you sync over Wi-Fi, something may be causing wireless interference:

• Microwave ovens
  • Cordless phones
  • Physical barriers, such as metal walls or distance between your computer, base station, and iOS device

Try the following to reduce network interference:

1. Move your iOS device and computer closer to the Wi-Fi router or base station.
  2. Check for sources of potential interference.
  3. Remove your iOS device from any case, stand, or attachment.
  4. Open Safari and try to load a webpage.

Check firewall settings

If you enabled a firewall on your router or computer, make sure that your computer and iOS device can communicate.

• Follow these steps to use the built-in firewall option with iTunes on your Mac.
  • For third-party firewalls and security software, see the developer or manufacturer for assistance.

Mac computers use port 123 to set the date and time automatically. Incorrect date and time on a computer or iOS device can cause connection issues. If you don't know if your router has a firewall or if the required ports are open, follow these steps:

• Enable Wi-Fi syncing for additional iOS devices on your network to see if they have the same issue. (See the previous steps to enable Wi-Fi syncing for additional devices.)
  • Test your device on a different network. If the device works on another network, the issue may be your router or network configuration. Contact your router manufacturer or Internet service provider for additional troubleshooting.

If you use another security or firewall software on your computer or router, you can troubleshoot security software issues, contact the manufacturer, or check the documentation to learn how to open TCP ports 123 and 3689 as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353.

iTunes 10.5 and later: Troubleshooting iTunes Wi-Fi syncing - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Feb 24, 2015 5:31 PM in response to chuck_3rd

thanks,

The ipad connects to the computer as dropbox and icloud. And I did switch to my modem/router from my main router and that made no difference. I switched from 5 ghz to 2.4 ghz and that still did not work. Dropbox and iCloud still works.

the other suggestions with router settings are beyond my skill set. I will just sync with the cable. Spent too much time dealing with the ever present itunes not finding the ipad. When it does find the ipad any attempt to sync just fails with itunes reporting it can find the iPad. This should not be that difficult except when apple messes stuff up. this should be trouble free and automatic

Thanks Rachael

Feb 25, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Chris CA

Yes, I have multiple routers, The first is a Motorola NVG510 at&t dsl modem and router. Normally the wireless functions are turned off

That router connects to a Linksys WRT 1900AC. Which is used for Ethernet and WIFI. The iPad is generally connected to the 5ghz signal and the 2.4ghz radio is disabled.

During the trouble shooting of Itunes, I moved the iPad from 5ghz to 2.4ghz and that made no difference. Everything except iTunes worked. I then turned on the 2.4ghz radio on the normally unused WIFI part of the Motorola modem/router, and again everything work other then iTunes.

When iTunes can find the iPad any attempt to sync will result in "Can not find iPad" error and the sync is canceled and the iPad icon goes away. Maybe 1 out of 10 times when I start iTunes the iPad will show up, if it does it will error out when I try to sync via WIFI

Both Routers are on the same network but only the linksys has WIFI turned on. The iPad works flawlessly, except iTunes and always has a full signal from the 5ghz router.

I do use mac address filtering just to make it that much harder for the wannabe geek next door from getting into my system.

I don't understand how the routers are configured other then what I indicated. Other then there has been no changes since the time when iTunes and the iPad worked.

I have reinstalled iTunes with no help. I have powered down the iPad and that did not help. I have powered down the desktop and all the modems/Routers and that did not work. I switched to another bootable partition that is months old and that did not work. I booted into Yosemite from Mavericks and that did not work.

Thanks,

Rachael Jellicoe

Suddenly iTunes can not find my iPad over WIFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.