Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you wake a MacBook Pro from sleep?

I have a brand new MacBook Pro. I have it set to turn its display off and go to sleep after 5 minutes of non-use. I'll press my Shift key or click my mouse to wake it back up. The screen will go from black to charcoal and I'll be able to see and move my mouse cursor. However, I will not be able to see any of my applications. I'll click my mouse and circle my cursor and still, I will not be able to see anything - only charcoal and my mouse cursor. Sometimes it will take 20 seconds of clicking and swirling my mouse for my windows and applications to be revealed again. Other times it will take 1 minute+ for my applications to come back. I have tried pressing CMD+Tab (as if to switch applications) - nothing happens. I have tried pressing Escape and other random keys - nothing happens. I do not have any peripherals plugged into my Mac - no monitors, no external drives, etc. I have barely any additional software installed (just Office and Axure). This happens regardless of whether my Mac is plugged in or not. Does anyone know of a faster and more reliable way to wake up my Mac from sleep?

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 6:25 AM

1 reply

Feb 23, 2015 7:01 AM in response to chrisbeaman

I always tap the power button once to wake mine from sleep, it depends on the model of mac wether you can use the trackpad/keyboard but the power button should work on all models

Waking your computer

To wake your computer from any of these sleep modes, tap the computer's power button. Some sleep modes can also be exited by clicking your mouse or trackpad, opening the lid on your Mac notebook, or by pressing a key on a connected keyboard.

See here for more info on when your wake does not wake from sleep

OS X: When your Mac doesn't sleep or wake - Apple Support

How do you wake a MacBook Pro from sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.