Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR EMAIL GETS HACKED?

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR EMAIL KEEPS GETTING HACKED?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 8:35 AM

4 replies

Feb 23, 2015 9:45 AM in response to FoxFifth

Am using Roadrunner, not sure about 2-factor or 2 step verification (don't know what it is)

someone is using my email address to send out a phishing scam using my email address to some people in my address book, is this dangerous for me

and my computer? I have notified them not to open - that it is not from me.

Thanks for your help

Feb 23, 2015 10:12 AM in response to khepkins

From what I can find it doesn't look like Roadrunner supports 2 factor verification. Here is a link to information about what it is: http://lifehacker.com/5938565/heres-everywhere-you-should-enable-two-factor-auth entication-right-now

Have you changed your email password after the problem started?

The usual scenario is that someone goes directly to the email provider site, hacks your password (frequently a very weak one) and gains access to your contacts via the Roadrunner site and did not gain access to your computer. Once they have your list of contacts they can send mail to them forever from anywhere spoofing your email to make it look like it is being sent from you.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR EMAIL GETS HACKED?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.