Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5k Retina iMac with 27 inch thunderbolt display issue

Hi,

We have acquired a brand new iMac and plugged a 27" Thunderbolt display on it.

Sometimes, the image shakes on the thunderbolt and then it goes off. We've checked the cables and tried to use the second thunderbolt port, but the result is the same. We have to unplug and replug the thunderbolt cable to wake the second screen up.

The iMac is the mid-range one, with i7 / 16gb RAM / 2gb video card / 256gb SSD (os X.10.2 all up to date).

If someone has an idea, it would be welcome. 🙂

Thanks,

J

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 11:06 AM

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2015 11:06 AM in response to emea-graphics

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Jun 14, 2015 10:56 PM in response to emea-graphics

Was this the fix: did they fix/replace the iMac and it started working? Or was it a problem with your external Cinema Display?

I have a similar problem to what you have described. I have been using the same Apple Display on a MacBook Air for years without a problem - so I don't think the screen is the issue.

I took a video of the issue. I think it's the software/OS having issues between the different scaling on the different resolution displays.

Brand new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) / 4 GHz Intel Core i7 / 32 GB / 4GB AMD Radeon R9 M295X / 1.125 Fusion Drive

5k Retina iMac with 27 inch thunderbolt display issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.