Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC Support iTunes 10.6.1

Hi,

I was experiencing troubles with connecting to the iTunes match servers since a few days. I've been using my old iMac and iTunes 10.6.1 and iTunes match worked just fine but now I can't connect. Does anybody know why? I haven't changed anything on network settings or such. Has apple stopped supporting older iTunes versions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1,25GHz 1,25GB RAM

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 6:52 AM

5 replies

Mar 8, 2015 12:09 PM in response to RafiQwer

Dear RafiQwer. I have the exact same problem as you have. I have tried pretty much everything you can think of including using different (powerpc) machines and different networks. Nothing worked. Did you find a solution in the end. Otherwise, it looks to me that iTunes 10.6.1 support just dropped (my new machine and the iOS devices have no issues).

eMac Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1,25GHz 1,25GB RAM

Mar 9, 2015 7:35 AM in response to RafiQwer

Count me in on having iTunes Match connection issues.

ITunes is installed on my iMac G4, which runs Leopard. My music library is stored on an external FireWire drive. I opted for this setup for iTunes Match as the G4 is my main computer. The MacBook Air is usually only used when I'm out and about at school. I noticed yesterday (March 8) that I was having problems connecting to iTunes Match. I turned it off and on countless times; rebooted the computer and router countless times; turned off Home Sharing. Still got the cloud with the lightening bolt. iTunes Match confirms that I have 4,217 songs in the cloud, but I only have 4,024 on the G4. (There are songs I hadn't gotten around to downloading from the cloud when I first subscribed, so they were grayed out once I started getting the lightening bolt. After I turned off/on Match, those grayed out songs have disappeared [even though they're still on the FireWire drive]).

I went ahead and made a new playlist last night in the G4 iTunes, figuring Match will eventually connect. The new playlist is showing on my iPhone 5c (haven't checked the Air yet). The iPhone also shows I have 4,221 songs available (I have some tunes on the phone prior to subscribing to Match, I guess).

This morning, the G4 iTunes is still showing the lightening bolt.

I also checked https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ ---> iTunes Match is showing a green light as of 10:30 this morning.

This is leading me to believe that Apple dropped Leopard support from iTunes Match. (?)

Which you're probably thinking is odd... considering that playlist made it into the cloud. But I was still able to access the iTunes Music Store on my clamshell iBook running Tiger long after I couldn't access the main screen of the store anymore. Also, I find it a coincidence that the Power PC users are having problems with Match the day before an Apple Event, further making me believe we're without full Match capabilities now.

Mar 9, 2015 9:12 AM in response to smitsp

Just checked my iTunes on my MacBook Air.

When I opened iTunes, I got a message that iTunes Match encountered an error, and I needed to log out/log back in. I did. Then I had to turn Match on again. Match did its thing, then told me I had 4,221 songs available in the cloud. The playlist I created last night on the G4 is there. How can Match upload a new playlist with the cloud icon showing a lightening bolt, but I can't get those "disappeared" songs because of the lightening bolt? I thought the lightening bolt meant a complete disconnection from the iTunes servers.

Is this a case of partial access to an Apple service to those with "outdated" OSes, i.e., like how I experienced with the iTunes Music Store on my clamshell iBook? In that situation, my OS and iTunes were finally outdated enough where I couldn't connect to iTMS via the main screen. Kept getting error messages. However, if I typed in the name of an artist or a song in the search box, I could access the store that way.

PowerPC Support iTunes 10.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.