Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S stopping at updating firmware during software restore in iTunes. Phone now stuck on 'connect to iTunes' screen.

I have an iPhone 5S which I'm having a look at for my boss. He tried running a software update on it and it crapped out during a firmware update from what I can gather. It's left the phone just displaying 'connect to iTunes' icons on the display and when connecting to the Mac the only option is to 'Restore iPhone'. No other info available about the phone in iTunes, not even serial number. He was running a version of iOS 8 (not sure which iteration) and I'm guessing he was trying to update to latest release when the original failure occurred.

Is there any way, say through Terminal, to find the device and reformat it so that I can perform a complete reinstall through iTunes again. I've tried downloading the software updater again and I'm getting the same problem: update seems to run fine at first, it extracts the software, verifies it, installs, verifies the installation then begins a firmware update at which point it errors saying 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1).'

Apple's page detailing 'more information' is next to useless and fails to give you any further information detailing what an error (1) actually is. The nearest they get is hinting at it being network related. I know it's not a network issue as the same occurs across different networks I've tried it on. The hosts file is fine, the router is fine, there's no security or antivirus software getting in the way, I've even tried port forwarding for all of Apple's services and it makes no difference. Just to make sure it wasn't an OSX related issue I've tried on a WinPC and the same error pops up, so it's all pointing to a problem with the phone itself.

Prior to the software update I'm told it was all running fine, so the process of updating seems to have borked something (probably in the firmware). I'm just looking for a workaround at a low level to bypass the useless GUI approach and maybe look for a command line solution. The phone wasn't jailbroken so there'll be no SSH availability unfortunately. Can the device's volume be accessed through Terminal?

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 7:21 AM

25 replies

Feb 23, 2015 7:43 AM in response to M-RES

From:Resolve iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

The most common cause of this error is a firewall or antivirus blocking access to Apple's update server.

Another possibility is the phone is jailbroken or the computer used to do the update was once used to jailbreak some iOS device.

Feb 23, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK, firstly, thanks for replying. But not really any new info here beyond Apple's fairly nondescript form answers. Please re-read the post 😉

It's an Error '1' , so I'll run through answering some of the points that Apple say it may be (I've read your copy/paste info about 20 times in the aptly infinite loop of 'help' pages on Apple support haha) :

1. There is no security software installed on the machine I've been testing this on. There is nothing preventing communication with the Apple update server and indeed the software update has successfully downloaded, because the issue only arises during the firmware update stage after the actual iOS update has been completed and the install verified successfully by the update server. The router has been specifically set up to ensure there are no barriers with all traffic between the WAN and the individual machine on the LAN being routed through in both directions for all of Apple's port numbers and services.

2. I have attempted perhaps 40 or more restores while connected with a cable, computer and network I know are good. Plus another 30-40 times with another computer I know to be good on the same network and tens of times with two other Macs and one Windows PC on two other networks all of which I know to be good.

3. There is no security software barring communications between the device and update servers (see point 1).

4. I've tried to contact Apple support, but unfortunately I can't supply them with a serial number because: (A) iTunes is displaying the serial number for the iPhone as 'N/A' (presumably because the installation hasn't completed) and (B) I can't access iOS on the phone to retrieve the serial number (because the installation hasn't completed). No serial number, no Apple support. Which is why I'm asking here.

There's no firewall running. There's no antivirus running. There's absolutely nothing blocking traffic to/from Apple's update server. Indeed I can run software update on any of the 15 Macs and half dozen or so other iPhones in this office and they all connect successfully The issue isn't network related - it's isolated to this device.

The phone has never been jailbroken. It's been owned from new - it's not even been unlocked from the mobile network operator and is still under the original contract. It's approx 12 months old. Neither have any of the 4 Macs and 1 Windows PC I've now tried to restore the iPhone through been used for jailbreaking iOS devices. Two of them had never even run iTunes before.

So back to my original question - is there any way to reformat the phone from the command line so that iTunes can then restore the software from scratch and the data from the iTunes/iCloud backup?

Surely there has to be a way into the underlying filesystem for such situations (software update corrupting the phone) where a limited GUI approach is hopeless? Or is it truly bricked?

Feb 23, 2015 11:35 AM in response to M-RES

Your post implies that you are downloading the iOS image, then installing it rather than letting iTunes find the right image. If I am reading this correctly you could be getting the wrong image. Instead just connect the phone and click Restore in iTunes, which will download the correct Binary.

The way to restore bypassing any existing image is to restore from DFU mode.

Feb 23, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sorry - to clarify, I'm downloading the update THROUGH iTunes. iTunes downloads the software, extracts it, verifies the installer to check it's extracted correctly (presumably against an MD5 hash checksum), installs it, verifies the installation (again probably a checksum to make sure it has actually installed) and then runs a firmware updater in this instance. It's at this point that the installer fails through iTunes.

I thought perhaps the installer file from Apple's update server was itself damaged - it's not unknown and I've seen it happen before, albeit very rarely. With that in mind I did hunt out a standalone installer file and downloaded that to give it a try (it opens iTunes and runs the installer within the iTunes environment, so essentially it's the same as downloading from the remote server), but again the same results.

It's not the software, the network or the download process as far as it's possible to verify without having access to the kind of diagnostic tools Apple invariably have. The installer appears to have corrupted something within the phone's firmware and I need a way to wipe it and start again, because the normal restore routines just don't work. Which is why I thought there must be a way through the command line into the base filesystem to delete and create volumes on a device. It's possible with any other external 'drive' so there must be a way with an iPhone, unless it's something that Apple have specifically locked down to stop people tinkering, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Feb 23, 2015 12:09 PM in response to M-RES

::ADDITIONAL INFO::

And yes, the unit is in DFU mode. When plugged in, iTunes detects it as a device in Recovery Mode.

You see my quandry? None of the 'officially sanctioned' methods work, but I'm pretty sure the hardware will still function if there's a way to wipe the corrupted software and start the restore afresh. But only IF there's a way. :/

Feb 23, 2015 12:24 PM in response to M-RES

DFU mode is not the same as Recovery mode. DFU mode uses the iPhone's hardware BIOS to do the install. Recovery mode uses the primitive driver already on the phone.

If the phone has ever been backed up to a computer you can get the serial number of the phone in iTunes Preferences, devices tab. Hover over the name of the backup.

Also try using a different computer, or take it to an Apple Store. Make a Genius Bar appointment first.

Feb 23, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ah, righto, I'll give it a go when I get back into the office in the morning. I followed the steps to put it into DFU mode, but it seems if you hold the home button for a fraction too long (so the Apple logo appears) it's actually starting into Recovery Mode, not DFU. I should have access to the machine it's been synced to tomorrow as well, so I'll try to find the serial from the backup. I had it plugged into that machine earlier today and the serial wasn't showing up under the usual iPhone info screen, but never thought to check in Prefs>Devices. Cheers for that - I'll post back on the morrow to let you know how I get on. Wish me luck! 😀

Feb 24, 2015 4:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK, follow up this morning. I've managed after about 20 attempts to get it into DFU mode - there's literally about half a second difference in holding the sleep/wake button between it going into DFU Mode or Recovery Mode!

Anyway, finally got it into DFU, connected to the PC it was synced to. I'm getting a serial number at least now, but when it runs through the restore procedure (the only option given) it drops out after about 20-30 seconds with the error 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. The device cannot be found.'

Weird. It's like iTunes is unmounting the iPhone volume to restore it, but because it's no longer mounted it can't find the device. Any other ideas?

Feb 24, 2015 6:08 AM in response to M-RES

It's beginning to sound like the computer you are using has USB problems. Or you are using a USB hub. The iPhone needs a connection to a USB port that can supply at least 1/2 amp. This usually requires a USB port on the back of a tower of desktop computer rather than the front, and it precludes using a hub unless the hub has its own power source that can supply 1/2 amp to every one of its ports simultaneously. It's also a good idea to disconnect any USB devices that require power from the USB, such as external disk drives.

Feb 24, 2015 6:31 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I'm way ahead of you here. Exactly my thinking in the early stages. Tried it on a couple of MacBook Pros, an iMac, a MacMini and a PC laptop. Each time straight into the USB on the machine, no hubs, no other devices. I even tried disconnecting the mouse and keyboard from the MacMini to give it as much oomph as possible to the iPhone and then controlled the Mini via Screen Sharing. Oh, and thinking it might be a problem with the iPhone USB cable I swapped that for another known good cable that one of the other guys in the office had with him. Haha... what a mystery!

Had a word with Apple (now that I've managed to write down the serial number) and the tech on the other end was being overly blasé and confident that he could fix this in a couple of minutes over the phone. I explained everything I'd tried to remedy it and he immediately put me on hold to see if he could book an appointment at a genius bar! I HAVE BROKEN APPLE!!! 😀

Looks to me like the firmware is garbled on this phone and it's become a posh paperweight. Easiest solution is probably to dig out the soldering iron and do some remedial chip replacement! 😉 Heh.

Cheers for your efforts Lawrence. Nice to feel vindicated that I'm looking in the right places at least.

Feb 24, 2015 8:31 AM in response to M-RES

Stick around; we need your experience. You did everything right. It's most likely a hardware problem on the phone. The one thing I didn't suggest, that you may have tried, is to clean the connector on the bottom of the phone. If it gets full of cruft it can cause intermittent connections and a host of other symptoms. Look inside with a bright light, and clean it with something non-metallic if you see any garbage in it (wood or plastic toothpicks work well).

Feb 24, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

You'll never believe it. You're only a complete superstar with that 11th hour suggestion! I couldn't see any crud in the bottom, but I blew really hard into the port on the offchance there was perchance some fluff in there and then gave it another try through iTunes. Managed to get it into DFU mode (first time!!!) and it only flippin' well worked. Firmware successfully restored and updated and then the software update ran, once again successfully. It's currently restoring all the data from the iTunes backup while we try to get through to a human at Apple to cancel the replacement phone they were shipping out tonight.

Massive thanks for that last afterthought! I considered I was losing my touch... being defeated by Apple gear? Me? Nooooo, never! I guess there's always a first time for everything haha.

iPhone 5S stopping at updating firmware during software restore in iTunes. Phone now stuck on 'connect to iTunes' screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.