Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac as display for Windows 7 (thunderbolt to thunderbolt)

I currently have a 27-inch Mid 2011 iMac running OS X Yosemite, and my company has issued me a Lenovo W540 that is running Windows 7 and has a thunderbolt port (not mini-display -- yes, I'm sure).

I have spend countless hours trying to use my iMac as a display for my laptop, but have had no luck. When I plug the iMac into the laptop, my laptop does recognize my iMac as a "Base System Device", but when I go to the System Information on my iMac it recognizes that a cable is connected, but says there is "No device connected" to my Thunderbolt ports, and attempting Target Display Mode (Cmd + F2) has no effect. So, has anybody ever gotten this to work? Is there a separate set of drivers that I need to install on my Windows laptop to recognize my iMac as a display?

I have done virtually hundreds searches on this, and haven't found anything that relates to my specific case. Is this simply not supported? I appreciate any help that can be provided!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 9:49 AM

Target Display Mode (TDM) is strictly a Mac-to-Mac function. Your only option is to try a software networking solution like ScreenRecycler:

http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

Apple's FAQ fro Target Display Mode is here:

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

2 replies

Feb 23, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hello Allan,

I appreciate your response. I have read that a Mac running Windows with Bootcamp can use TDM, so I expected it would be a matter of installing proper drivers, but, unless anybody else has had some success, I think I'm about ready to admit defeat.

I appreciate you proposing a software solution, however, ScreenRecycler only supports using a Windows PC as another display, not the other way around. I did play around with a couple other software solutions, but none of these solutions would work well once my work PC is connected to VPN.

I guess I'll continue to work off a small laptop screen while a giant 27-inch screen on the same desk goes unused. Very frustrating.

Using iMac as display for Windows 7 (thunderbolt to thunderbolt)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.