Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to cause negative numbers in a chart to show in a different color

This seems a simple thing, yet I find no way to do it. I have a chat that shows both positive numbers and negative numbers. When the bar drops below 0 I want the color to change to red. How?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 9:34 AM

use conditional formatting.

select the cell(s) you want to format

open the cell formatter

User uploaded file

click the "Conditional Highlighting..." button

User uploaded file

now click the "Add a Rule..." button to add a new rule:

User uploaded file

for each rule you should add rules that apply to numbers and setup as shown.

Then click "Done"

34 replies

Feb 23, 2015 11:37 AM in response to JessHHerbst

Add two columns to your table where you have one column that only includes positive data and another that includes negative data.

for positive data the formula would be something like (assuming original data is in column B)

=if(B>=0, B, "")

for negative data the formula would be:

=if(B<0, B, "")

then plot the columns two columns. set the negative series to be red.

User uploaded file

I reordered the columns so that original data is last (to make crating the chart easier)

Feb 24, 2015 6:53 AM in response to JessHHerbst

Jeff,

Curious about your use case. In a table a red font make sense as a visual cue for negative numbers. But in a chart you already have a prominent visual cue: the downward direction of the columns. Isn't color best reserved for showing other things in charts -- different series, etc.?

No doubt Excel charts can be "tortured" to do what you want. I find them amazingly customizable. But Numbers is pretty good on visual esthetics in charts, and Wayne has shown you an easy way to do what you want.

SG

Feb 24, 2015 5:32 PM in response to JessHHerbst

How do you do this in Excel? I am looking for the option but not finding it. I am not a power user of Excel, though.

I don't know why you are adverse to creating new columns. The typical way to do it for a single series in Numbers has been suggested already, use a formula to create a column of the positive values, another formula to create a column of the negative values, and plot both columns. I prefer a stacked bar chart because it preserves the correct bar spacing on the chart.

But you are plotting two columns of data already. For that, there is no good solution. You would have to create two stacked bar charts and overlay them to look like one. We showed that recently in another thread.

how to cause negative numbers in a chart to show in a different color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.