Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different images per show/segment: Is it possible?

I am a not-too-technical volunteer for a nonprofit public radio program called BirdNote (http://birdnote.org/) . It runs on about 120 public radio stations across the United States. In addition to the distribution on the radio, we also have a podcast version of that day’s program. One person does an outstanding job of finding just the right image for each day's program which we post on our website, on Facebook, and Twitter. We would dearly love to have the selected image appear along with the podcast. But so far we've been unable to figure out how to get the image to appear with the podcast.

If the podcast is accessed through iTunes, the image does appear. But on the iPhone or iPad, it does not. And it doesn't seem to be the app being used for listening, I’ve tried half a dozen or more on both mobile devices.

In the Making a Podcast documentation on the Apple site, it reads:

Create cover art for your podcast that still works well when scaled down to thumbnail size. Before you create your podcast cover art, review the Top Podcasts section in the Podcasts app or in the iTunes Store for examples of compelling cover art. To be eligible for featured placement on the iTunes Store and the Podcasts app for iOS, cover art must be a 1400 x 1400-pixel JPEG or PNG file in the RGB color space. You can also use specific images for individual episodes.

(http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html#commontags)

So, what I don't know is that it's even possible to have a different daily image? Are we just not getting the code and feeds correct?

Might you have any thoughts on what we could do? I know it would be greatly appreciated by our mobile listeners.

Thank you!

Chris Altwegg

chris.altwegg@gmail.com 206-523-6477

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 10:18 AM

The image which appears in the Store page is referenced in the feed in the 'itunes:image' tag. However, this image does not appear when subscribing in iTunes on a Mac or PC in the 'Playlist' view (in the new 'My Podcasts view the image appears alongside the name of the overall podcast).

If you embed an image in the ID3 tag in an MP3 file it will appear once the file is downloaded and is playing. It will appear initially in a small version in the bar at the top, next to the progress bar, and if you command-click the image a larger version appears. This image did not appear in older versions of the iOS Podcasts tag; I believe it may appear in the newer version but I can't check that.

If you want to have chapters with individual images you will have to use an M4a (AAC) file - you can't do this in Mp3 - and will need a program capable of embedding the images in this way. Few programs can do this - the one I used some time back is no longer reliable, and I can't recommend one. I suspect that these chapter images will not show in the Podcasts app but not having an iOS device I can't check it - you would have to ask someone who has.

You can see the effect of doing this in my podcast at https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-sound-of-78s/id166389425?mt=2 (you will need to subscribe in iTunes to see this) so you could try that in the Podcasts app.

This page explains the situation in more detail, together with how to use iTunes to embed an image in an MP3 file.

http://wilmut.uk/coverart

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Altwegg

The image which appears in the Store page is referenced in the feed in the 'itunes:image' tag. However, this image does not appear when subscribing in iTunes on a Mac or PC in the 'Playlist' view (in the new 'My Podcasts view the image appears alongside the name of the overall podcast).

If you embed an image in the ID3 tag in an MP3 file it will appear once the file is downloaded and is playing. It will appear initially in a small version in the bar at the top, next to the progress bar, and if you command-click the image a larger version appears. This image did not appear in older versions of the iOS Podcasts tag; I believe it may appear in the newer version but I can't check that.

If you want to have chapters with individual images you will have to use an M4a (AAC) file - you can't do this in Mp3 - and will need a program capable of embedding the images in this way. Few programs can do this - the one I used some time back is no longer reliable, and I can't recommend one. I suspect that these chapter images will not show in the Podcasts app but not having an iOS device I can't check it - you would have to ask someone who has.

You can see the effect of doing this in my podcast at https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-sound-of-78s/id166389425?mt=2 (you will need to subscribe in iTunes to see this) so you could try that in the Podcasts app.

This page explains the situation in more detail, together with how to use iTunes to embed an image in an MP3 file.

http://wilmut.uk/coverart

Mar 2, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you Roger for your thorough reply. This is really, really helpful (I work with Chris at BirdNote).

We already use the process you outlined on your website to embed images in each MP3 file. They *do* should up in iTunes, but they don't show up on the native podcast app on iPhone/iPads (only our principal podcast image shows up there). It looks like you were successful, but you had to use the M4a (AAC) file, and there aren't many programs that can do this. We only want one image for each show, not chapters like you have (cool feature, by the way). Plus, we'd ideally want to keep them as MP3s.

Are native podcast apps not programmed to show individual show images? I've checked all the bigger players - Snap Judgment, This American Life, StoryCorps, Serial, Freakonomics, Marketplace - and I didn't see any images other than their main podcast image.

Thank you for your help.

Mar 2, 2015 10:16 AM in response to asedgley

For one image per show you have to embed it in the media file - as long as it's only one MP3 is fine. These embedded images will appear when subscribing in iTunes but only when you start playing the episode. I believe it was the case that originally the iOS Podcasts app didn't show these image but only the image in the feed; I have an idea this has changed more recently but as I don't have an iOS device I can't check that.

Many podcasters simply don't bother with the embedded image. Other programs for playing podcasts may well not bother to show embedded images. In cases where the episodes are being streamed rather than downloaded complete before playing (as in iTunes on a Mac) it may not be technically possibly to access the embedded image.

Apr 19, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger:

Well, Adam and I have mushed and wrestled and gotten nowhere on our attempts to get the bird of the day's picture to appear on iPhones and iPads when our BirdNote podcast plays, (Podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/birdnote/id79155128?mt=2)

We do embed the image in the MP3. If you were to download a show and Get Info, you will see the image for the show in the Artwork tab. And if you play the MP3 in iTunes, the image is there. But not on iPhones (and most other podcast players.)

I took a look at the Feedburner XML for your shows and ours and noted a couple of issues.

One thing I noticed not in your XML but in ours is that we have a line in each show's code that has an image call for the show image.

<itunes:image href="http://birdnote.org/sites/default/files/storage/show_photo_square_285/buff-taile d-sicklebill-christopher-c-witt.jpg" />

Since the image for the show is already embedded in the MP3, I'm wondering if that extra image call is interrupting or preventing iTunes on iPhones, etc from displaying the MP3 embedded image.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another thing that might be causing trouble is that the image code line does not have an opening and closing argument in the same style as all the other lines of code do.

<itunes:image href="http://birdnote.org/sites/default/files/storage/show_photo_square_285/buff-taile d-sicklebill-christopher-c-witt.jpg" />

<pubDate>Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:00:00 +0000</pubDate>

You see how other lines close the opening with ">" and the line closes with the same text as the opening.

What do you think? If you send me your email address, I could send you the two XML files.

We appreciate your help and any insight would be wonderful.

Thank you very much.

Chris Altwegg

chris.altwegg@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2015 12:05 AM in response to Altwegg

I looked at your XML file and it appears to be OK. The two tags you mention above are correctly formatted. The 'itunes:image' tag within the 'item' tags provides in iTunes only the small image which appears for each episode when you run a Search. Previous versions of the Podcasts app did not show the image even if it was both embedded and referred to within the episode. Not having an iOS device I'm not in a position to check whether it does show on the current iOS - I imagine it can't show the embedded image in the nature of the way it accesses the file (in chunks). You could ask someone in the iPhone forum to check your podcast, but if you are up to date with iOS and are not seeing these images then it's probable that they are just not going to appear.

Jun 4, 2015 2:05 AM in response to Altwegg

Apple’s technical podcast specifications state that the iTunes-specific tag <itunes:image> allows to show associate a cover art to the podcast feed but also at the episode level. However, there is some confusion on this topic since this specific tag is currently not fully implemented by Apple: it works only for the general podcast cover art, but not for single episodes, i.e. if an image is specified in the RSS feed using the tag <itunes:image> for a single episode (<item>), this is simply ignored by iTunes and the iOS podcast app, which keep displaying the general cover art.

The only way to show artwork associated to an individual podcast episode is to use GarageBand for Mac and create an “enhanced podcast”, this will solve your issue and will allow you to have single episodes to their own image(s) and, optionally, chapters 🙂

Different images per show/segment: Is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.