Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID problem

A friend has asked me to assist with this problem, but I know little about Apple technology. Here's a brief synopsis:-

Originally, he had an Apple ID which reflected his AOL e-mail address. This address has long since ceased to exist. Recently he went in and managed to somehow change his ID to a BT e-mail address. This appears to work ok when going directly to the Apple login page. However, if he selects one of the many pending updates on his iPad, it always comes up with the now old and non-existant AOL address, and there doesn't seem to be any way round this. We know what the old address was, but he's long since forgotten the AOL password.

How do we get rid of this old AOL address ID?

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 9:53 AM

9 replies

Mar 18, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Spartan2000

Ok, tried this, didn't work.

Settings App > iTunes and Apps store > Apple ID

There is no option to sign out. Clicking on the 'wrong' ID just brings up the keyboard. I can use the delete key to obliterate this 'wrong' ID, type in the correct one, and also the relevant password. It accepts this, but when I try and run updates a box comes up and asks for the password for the old 'wrong' ID !! Frustrating or what...

Mar 18, 2015 10:25 AM in response to Spartan2000

Apps and other downloadable media are forever tied to the AppleID used to

download them. You can only update an app acquired with the 'wrong ID"

by entering the password associated with that no longer used ID.

To resolve your dilemma, delete the apps asking for the 'wrong ID'

and redownload using the new ID. Any apps that were paid for will have to be

re-purchased. Items cannot be transferred from one AppleID to another nor

can 2 AppleIDs be merged.

Mar 18, 2015 10:40 AM in response to imobl

Ok, thanks for that. Money for old rope eh...

However, regrettably that doesn't solve my initial problem of trying to remove the original (now wrong) ID. Despite the previous steps I've taken, the 'wrong' one still appears every time I open up iTunes and App Store. I also notice the 'wrong' ID appears under iCloud settings. Is there really no way of removing this defunct ID. We have no idea what the original password was either...

Mar 18, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Spartan2000

Take proof of original (not used or 2cd hand) purchase with iPad to physical

Apple store where they may be able to help. Otherwise, the answer to your

question is NO. There is no workaround for Activation Lock which is what

you are facing.

iCloud: Find My iPhone Activation Lock in iOS 7 & later

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4515

Apple ID problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.