Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Infrared remote control not working - OS X Yosemite

iMac 27"

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR

33.2 GHz Intel Core i5

I have just purchased the above iMac and tried to use my old 3"x1" remote control to no avail. The technical help has not been able to shed any light on it, suffice to say it won't work. I can't believe Apple would have produced an upgrade that means you have to leap up from your chair across the room to turn up or down the volume on the keyboard by the computer. I use a wired keyboard and don't necessarily wish to sit with the wireless one on my knee. The small white gizmo was brilliant on my last imac. Are there any Bluetooth solutions or other ideas?

Phil

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 10:04 AM

16 replies

Feb 23, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Vlnps13

My iMac is a dinosaur, late 2009. Looks like Apple removed the IR support on later model systems.

From what I read on the web if you see the settings that both I and VikingOSX pointed out your system has an IR receiver and will work with the remote. If the settings are not there then there is no IR receiver and the remote won't work.

BTW I am running 10.10.2 here so that is not the issue.

regards

Feb 24, 2015 4:45 AM in response to GeoCo

Thanks to you all. It looks as though there is no infrared connectivity on this very expensive piece of equipment. Interesting that the Apple helpdesk couldn't answer this.

Any ideas on the best way to get through to the boffins at Apple to ask why they have taken away this easy access? I think it is silly to remove something so effective, although the answer will probably be that I need an app on an iPhone (which I do not have).

Phil

Jun 12, 2015 2:24 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX

What a worthless comment; you shoot yourself in the foot by saying you don't have a Yosemite system in answer to a question about Yosemite!

It would appear, too, that the latest iMac DOESN'T have have an infrared sensor, so end of discussion. Too, your remarks and those about disabling infrard remote control are obviously talking about another version of the software, and probably an old iMac.

If you use Yosemite you'll see that the screen display in Advanced isn't as you describe it.

Infrared remote control not working - OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.