Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes tracks: Grayed out w/ dashed circle

Is there a key to what the latest icons, etc mean in iTunes?

I downloaded an album, but several of the tracks are grayed out - with a dashed circle & will not play.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iPad

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 12:34 PM

9 replies

Feb 26, 2015 9:28 AM in response to CroMagnum

These could be partial or stalled downloads from the iTunes Store. The menu item Store > Check for available downloads might get them to resume. Alternatively close iTunes, delete the folder called Downloads inside your media folder, if it exists, then try again, or use Music > iTunes Store > Quick Links > Purchased > Music > Not on this computer to download.

tt2

Mar 1, 2015 7:50 AM in response to turingtest2

The issue is they WERE local - at one time.

A couple were recent purchases, some not so recent.

If what you suggest is the case:
I had already tried downloading any undownloaded purchases before I posted.

Why tune files that were local have now gone undownloaded is the mystery, then. Possibly that all have not downloaded to all devices?

My remaining thought is that the indication may be that one of the devices has not received the full download. This doesn’t make sense, because the tunes were on the very device that balked.

I went looking for what this indicator means & know that I may have come across it in a post, or article, but I would have expected to find a key in the user manual. Have a lot of music - and so its hard to know what has gone missing, until it does & I stumble upon it.

I marked the topic as resolved, though it really wasn’t quite so.

The dashed circles are gone, but I haven’t verified that all is 100% as it should be.

Mar 1, 2015 8:11 AM in response to CroMagnum

Why tune files that were local have now gone undownloaded is the mystery, then.

The tip Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash shows one set of circumstances where the library switches to cloudy links for purchased content only. I have seen a couple of threads that hint that sometimes the "convert higher bitrate songs..." feature may be implicated in the loss of files from the media folder. Not reproduced it myself. Having worked on various (Windows) utilities of my own for deduping and reorganizing files I am aware that it is possible for there to be multiple paths to the same file and it is just possible that one of iTunes reorganizing routines doesn't work properly if the wrong set of circumstances conspire together. Again, I've not managed to create or reproduce such problems. Various third party tools, Windows Media Player on PCs in particular, are capable of reorganizing files in the iTunes Media folder which can break iTunes connection to the files. Having multiple iTunes libraries connected to and organizing the same media folder can have the same effect. These last two I have seen, and I have Windows scripts to repair such problems. Lastly the fact that OS X replaces one folder with another rather than merging the two as Windows does may lead to the unintentional loss of data for anyone who manipulates folders by hand and is unaware of these consequences.

As ever, a full backup of the entire iTunes folder structure and a systematic method for updating the clone that highlights any unexpected changes is the way to prevent loss.

tt2

Mar 2, 2015 5:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks.

I do have the “256 higher bit rate” turned on & maybe that’s a part of the problem.

Its just a dozen or two tunes of around 2000 that show this indicator.

It seems a little pointless to generate cryptic indicators in the application without a key toward understanding their purpose & meaning!

Also, fwiw, the idea that tunes may be going missing, whether its true or a misperception – is not a “warm & fuzzy” for the application. I sort of suspect it may fold into some consolidation of the other music services that have fallen under Apple umbrella, but I don’t have any of those loaded, so that’s wild speculation on my part.

An unfortunate turn of events, if its about the 256 bit versions checkbox.

Naturally, I want as good a sound as I can get while I my hearing is sharp & don’t buy good headphones, etc for diminished quality sound!

I do have a [slightly?] messed up folder structure for some items that has lingered:

As some music & old Photoshop podcast tutorial videos somehow found their way intermingled in nested folders.

However, again - several of the tunes gone missing were recent iTunes acquisitions & should not be anyplace new.

They were purchased as entire album downloads - and only some of the tunes show the indicator.

Mar 2, 2015 5:47 AM in response to CroMagnum

The convert higher bitrate songs to XXXk AAC feature downsamples higher bitrate tracks so that more can be squeezed on to the device. If your library contains some 320k tracks there probably isn't much to be gained, but if the originals are in AIFF or WAV there is a lot of space to be saved.

There is probably some other equally rare and and hard to reproduce issue going on for you. The best you can hope to do is take a complete clone of the library and try to spot any unexpected changes, then document and reverse them. If a fault is repeatable then it might be possible to file an actionable bug report. I use something called SyncToy on Windows for my backups. I'm told Synkron does something similar for OS X.

tt2

Mar 4, 2015 7:06 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks.

On a 64GB iPod Touch 5, 256 ought to be sufficient, [only on the iPod & iPad].
My hearing may not be as acute as I’d like to believe it was at 25.

I was reading the setting as though the default format requires ACC in iOS devices. But I see its a downsample.

I have a very lot of music, some 2000 tunes, some are occasionally in AIFF on desktop iTunes.

That can yield 20-40MB files vs 4-10MB per tune & my iPod space is at premium with about 25+GB of music & 18GB total free space.

Im not happy with the downsample, but the iPod max size right now is limited to 64 GB. Were they available, I would have bought a 128GB device.

Mar 4, 2015 1:44 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. (Sorry for the duplicate above - I thought that one died on the vine, as I could not see it posted).

On a 64GB iPod Touch 5, 256 ought to be sufficient, [only on the iPod & iPad].
My hearing may not be as acute as I’d like to believe it was at 25.

My iPod space is at premium with about 18GB total free space.

Unchecking the 256 downsample box reduced my free space from 18.2 GB to 12.

Were they available, I would have bought a 128GB device.

iTunes tracks: Grayed out w/ dashed circle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.