Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to upgrade my OS to Yosemite from 10.6.8, but it doesn't want to work.

I have to upgrade my operating system to Yosemite from 10.6.8. I've already checked to see what app compatibility problems I'll have to deal with, so I know pretty much what to expect. But when I go in to the Mac App Store and hit Upgrade Now, it sends me to a page that says Mac App Store Preview / OS X Yosemite. Then when I hit the View in Mac App Store button, it won't do anything, so I hit the link at the top of the page that says How to Upgrade, and it sends me to an instruction page that consists of a checklist of things to check on and the general requirements for the upgrade. Then when I hit the Upgrade Now button, it sends me back to that first Mac App Store Preview page that I was at before, with no way to get it to upgrade from there. If someone could please give me some advice as to how to go about this upgrade, I'd be extremely appreciative.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 2:45 AM

It won't work the way you're trying to do it.

Launch the App Store App on your Mac. You should see a search field along the top to the right. Key in Yosemite in the search field. From the resulting list you should see the OS X Yosemite Icon. Click the install/download button.

Tips to try and make this as smooth as possible:

Before doing anything do a backup of anything important - the whole system if possible. That way you can re-install if things don't work out - yes sometimes they don't. If connecting wirelessly try and make sure you're as close to the wireless access point (your router) as possible so as to maintain a good wireless connection; quit out of all applications; be patient, leave it alone and let it do what it has to do and follow any on-screen prompts.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Valerie Anderson

It won't work the way you're trying to do it.

Launch the App Store App on your Mac. You should see a search field along the top to the right. Key in Yosemite in the search field. From the resulting list you should see the OS X Yosemite Icon. Click the install/download button.

Tips to try and make this as smooth as possible:

Before doing anything do a backup of anything important - the whole system if possible. That way you can re-install if things don't work out - yes sometimes they don't. If connecting wirelessly try and make sure you're as close to the wireless access point (your router) as possible so as to maintain a good wireless connection; quit out of all applications; be patient, leave it alone and let it do what it has to do and follow any on-screen prompts.

Feb 25, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Hi Antonio, Thanks for your response. I have gotten some other responses about this, one of them telling me I should run the 10.6.8 combo updater before I try to download and install Yosemite. Do you agree that this would be necessary, since I'm already on 10.6.8? Or do you think it would be OK to go straight to Yosemite? Is there something on that combo updater that I wouldn't have gotten at the time I upgraded to 10.6.8? (If so, why wasn't it called 10.6.9 or something else?) I don't mind doing the additional combo updater thing, but really don't want to waste the time if it's not going to be necessary. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Trying to upgrade my OS to Yosemite from 10.6.8, but it doesn't want to work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.