Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager: User profile not applied until second logon

Hi all,

I'm running Server.app on Yosemite server with iMac clients running Mavericks. I've set up a Magic Triangle with an AD network, the iMacs are configured to authenticate with OpenDirectory first. I want to use Profile Manager to implement restrictions for members of specific AD groups. I have the trust profile installed and device profiles work fine. I can make a change to the profile and push the settings to the iMacs within a couple of settings.

My problem is with applying settings to the users. I've set up a basic profile that pushes a cople of extra dock icons to the user, and that's all. The user logs in fine, if I look in the 'Profiles' section of system preferences it lists the correct user profile but it doesn't actually apply any of the settings. If I log out and log back in as the same user the settings will then take effect. I really need them to apply instanatly though, and everything I've read says that they should!

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong? Has anyone else got this set up working?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 2:00 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2015 2:44 AM in response to sync32

If the user is already logged in then changes to at least Dock icons will not and cannot instantly take effect, for the Dock to reflect changes the Dock process has to be reloaded this is normally done as part of the login process. Some software installers achieve this while a user is logged in by 'quitting' and relaunching the Dock process, e.g. Microsoft Office.

However I would agree it should effectively take effect straight away if the user is not already logged in.

Feb 10, 2016 3:26 AM in response to sync32

We found deleting the user folder from \Macintosh HD\user\ then applied this settings straight away. We think this is due to when the user log in to the mac the system checks to see if there preferences is up to date and find it is not. profile manage then makes a task for the next time the user log into that mac.

deleting the user folder forces the profile manage to apply the setting on the 1st login.

Profile Manager: User profile not applied until second logon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.