Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MEID to check for prior setup or service?

Hi all,

I bought what was supposed to be a new iPhone 4s on Amazon. I have my doubts. Can Apple use the MEID to tell me if the phone has been set-up before, or if it had service? I called Verizon, but they could only tell me that the phone is a Verizon phone, and has not been stolen.

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 4:50 PM

11 replies

Feb 23, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks. Having entered the MEID, I'm not sure it gives the information I am looking for.

It says:

[Green, check mark]

Valid Purchase Date

A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need.

----

[ Orange, exclamation mark]

Telephone Technical Support: Expired

You are eligible to purchase telephone technical support from an Apple Advisor.

---

[ Orange, exclamation mark]

Repairs and Service Coverage: Expired

Our records indicate that your product is not covered under Apple's 1-year limited warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for hardware repairs and service based on the estimated expiration date.

Feb 27, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Is it possible to have a previously used iPhone revert to the setup screen?

Is there a way to see total hours of usage before the iPhone has been set up?

I've looked at an iPhone with service, running iOS 7.0 under Setting-->General-->About, but see nothing regarding total hours. There is a Diagnostics & Usage section, but that only contains crash data.

Feb 27, 2015 8:44 AM in response to WoodPlane

Yes, you can erase a used iPhone and it goes back to the initial setup screen. What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

There is no 'log' for how long a device has been used or total hours. That's irrelevant. All that is relevant is the date of original purchase of the device. If you are within the 1-year hardware warranty or the 2-year AppleCare Plus, then the device has hardware coverage. If you are not, then it does not have hardware coverage from Apple.

Why do you need to know the 'total hours of usage'? How is that relevant to your situation?

It's definitely not a 'new' iPhone. The fact that the webpage you checked shows that the one-year hardware warranty has expired is sufficient to tell that. Alternatively, contact Apple, provide the Serial Number or IMEI Number, and they may tell you the original purchase date.

Feb 27, 2015 9:57 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Apple was able to tell me that the iPhone was originally sold March 18, 2012. The iPhone is not eligible for Apple support, which is available for 90 days after purchase date, purchase date being determined by the seller's information, not by user's registration. They can't really tell me if the iPhone was previously registered with Apple, probably due to policy rather than lack of information.

MEID to check for prior setup or service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.