Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalled Original OS, After Apple Icon in Startup, Display is Pixelated

Looking for advice. I inherited my late mother's 2011/2012 i7 iMac. I'd been keeping it updated until before Mavericks. I finally decided I could do a fresh install over my Mom's old files. Inserted the original system disk and started by running the OS install (Lion? I can't recall). After installation, it requested I perform a restart. The system chimed, showed the apple screen just fine, followed by the screen below (white screen with a pixelated pattern)… where it hangs.

I've tried restarting with C held down since the system disk is still in the optical drive. I've tried restarting with Command + R, and have also unplugged the power cord for over a minute. Just tried restarting using D for the Apple Hardware Test and get the same screen as below. I've read some posts about 2008 iMacs having video card issues… but this is a 2011 iMac. Unfortunately, I don't have the specific stats.

Is it time to go to the Genius Bar? Or am I missing something crucial? Appreciate any and all help. The upside is, I'm pretty meticulous about backups so nothing is lost, just can't get the computer to do ANYTHING.

Thank you,

Abby

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 2:12 PM

I don't think you reinstalled properly based on your description. The model you have would not have come with a disc if it came with Lion pre-installed. It would if it came with a proprietary version of Snow Leopard. If it really is a 2011 model then it's a Mid-2011 model, not a 2011-2012. There is not such model as that.

So, if you have installer discs for the computer:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

5. If you are planning to sell or give your computer away, then do the following:

After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the computer restarts to a

Welcome screen and asks you to choose a country or region. If you want to leave

the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup of your system. Instead,

press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the Mac,

the Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. If you want you can further upgrade it to Yosemite:

Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Lunarlight

I don't think you reinstalled properly based on your description. The model you have would not have come with a disc if it came with Lion pre-installed. It would if it came with a proprietary version of Snow Leopard. If it really is a 2011 model then it's a Mid-2011 model, not a 2011-2012. There is not such model as that.

So, if you have installer discs for the computer:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

5. If you are planning to sell or give your computer away, then do the following:

After you reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X, the computer restarts to a

Welcome screen and asks you to choose a country or region. If you want to leave

the Mac in an out-of-box state, don't continue with the setup of your system. Instead,

press Command-Q to shut down the Mac. When the new owner turns on the Mac,

the Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. If you want you can further upgrade it to Yosemite:

Download Yosemite from the App Store. Sign in using your Apple ID. Yosemite is free. The file is quite large, over 5 GBs, so allow some time to download. It would be preferable to use Ethernet because it is nearly four times faster than wireless.

OS X Mavericks/Yosemite- System Requirements

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Yosemite

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 7,1 or later

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 5,1 or later

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 2,1 or later

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

7. Xserve (Early 2009) - Model Identifier 3,1 or later

To find the model identifier open System Profiler in the Utilities folder. It's displayed in the panel on the right.

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps.

Feb 23, 2015 3:13 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy. You're AWESOME. I guess I'm not as think as I smart I am. I was trying to boot up from the disk using "C" but obviously wasn't holding it down at the right time. I'll be rerunning the installer making sure there are only 1 partitions. I suspect there may have been a Windows partition on this computer that I didn't account for?

Anyway, I truly and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond. You've absolutely made my day.

Abby

Reinstalled Original OS, After Apple Icon in Startup, Display is Pixelated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.