Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand: Latency voice recording with integrated mic

Hi. I'm new in Yosemite 10.10.2, I come from Mountain Lion and never see this problem before in my old macbook pro, I have to buy another one because the hard drive suddendly droped dead!! Now I have my yosemite but I can't record my voice without latency. Even using another programs like Adobe Audition CS6, it's the same problem. What can I do? Thanx

PD: When I say latency I mean that I have monitoring button "on" and I hear myself with delay!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 2:11 PM

4 replies

Feb 23, 2015 4:27 PM in response to JD321

I did what you said but is still the same. I tried to use another program to record my voice over a song track, it's the same with adobe auditon, it's a sound card issue I guess... but I don't get it 😟. In garageband I created just a track, without effects, still nothing, I hear my voice with delay through the headphones......Thank you!

Feb 23, 2015 11:05 PM in response to Emigollita

"First try removing all effects (like, duh, echo) to the vocal track when laying down. "

^^^This statement was part joke, and part serious; you don't want to overlook the obvious.

Emigollita wrote:

I did what you said but is still the same. I tried to use another program to record my voice over a song track, it's the same with adobe auditon, it's a sound card issue I guess... but I don't get it 😟. In garageband I created just a track, without effects, still nothing, I hear my voice with delay through the headphones......Thank you!

What are you referring to when you say 'sound card'? Does your computer have a separately installed sound card, besides its built-in (built-in to the motherboard) sound? You say "I come from Mountain Lion and never see this problem before in my old macbook pro". Then later you say you are running on a MacBook Pro. So is that the same MacBook Pro, or a newer one? And if you are on a MacBook Pro, it has built-in audio (try using that), whether you have installed some other separate "Sound Card" or audio device.

Try laying down a vocal track, without effects, in GarageBand using the built-in sound. Start by creating a New Project, and when asked for an instrument, select "Audio__Record using a microphone or line input."

User uploaded file

Make sure the Audio settings, found under Preferences, looks like this:

User uploaded file

Turn off all effects, including MASTER Echo and MASTER Reverb (see pict below).

User uploaded file

With Headphones on, with Input Monitoring selected (as in above pict), and without recording, just tap the built-in microphone, to where you hear it through the headphones. Is there still delay?

[It is important when seeking help to try and be as specific and accurate as possible. It is hard to tell from some questions whether complete-noobs are overlooking the obvious, or if there may indeed be a software/hardware issue that a more experienced user is having.]

GarageBand: Latency voice recording with integrated mic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.