Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My grandsons mini iPad is disabled and it will not let me restore it it has error 21

my mini I pad is disabled and I am trying to restore on computer but get so far then a message appeared saying cannot download error (-18) now say error 21 what am I doing wrong please

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 2:44 PM

3 replies

Feb 23, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Caroline4465

See this support document for explanations and instructions on how to deal with update and restore errors. Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Check for hardware issues

Related errors: 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 1000, 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667, or 1669.

These errors mean that your device or computer may have a hardware issue that's preventing the update or restore from completing.

1. Check that your security software and settings aren't preventing your device from communicating with the Apple update server.
  2. Then try to restore your iOS device two more times while connected with a cable, computer, and network you know are good.
  3. Confirm that your security software and settings are allowing communication between your device and update servers.
  4. If you still see the error message when you update or restore, contact Apple support.

Feb 23, 2015 4:08 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I Now carn't get my mini I pad to power off when I hold top switch down the apple I incon keeps appearing and then going back blank no front screen no more Saying iPad disabled just blank also when. Press button down I now have the cable with I tunes in middle as if I am connecting to I tunes pluged it in to see if if needs charging but nothing happenes help.

Feb 23, 2015 7:03 PM in response to Caroline4465

The screen with the iTunes and cable shows the device is in Recovery Mode. As I indicated earlier, the error you said was showing generally indicates a hardware error. If you are now getting the Recovery Mode screen, I would say that is also indicative of a hardware error. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store and have it checked.

My grandsons mini iPad is disabled and it will not let me restore it it has error 21

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.