Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW DO I GET RID OF FLASHMALL

I am so sick of this thing… I have went to my downloads and nothing works! These ads are constantly popping up, it's changing my homepage to yahoo, and it's making my computer freeze! How do I get rid of this? Please help… When I search for this question all the topics are old and that way doesn't work anymore.

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 5:25 PM

Click here and follow the instructions, and for any types of adware not covered by them on the computer, these ones. If you're willing to use a tool to remove it(you don't need to, but may find it easier), you can instead run Adware Medic; this link is a direct download.

(122997)

20 replies

Feb 23, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Jessy14254

jessy

Niel is very experienced and has likely provided just what you need to get this fixed. Next time you post (or reply here), always include your "Product info" - you can enter it at the bottom left of the Your Stuff Bio page . click your UserName to get there anytime you see it like this > Jessy14254

If you would reply with your device and OS, we can get this moved to a more appropriate forum, but Niel's instructions (especially the easy way - Adware Medic ) should suffice.

ÇÇÇ

Feb 24, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Jessy14254

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem. You installed the "Crossrider" trojan. Take the steps below to disable it.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

Back up all data before continuing.

1. Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go â–¹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "LaunchAgents" will open.

2. Inside the folder you just opened, there may be files with any of the following names:

com.crossrider.wss*.agent.plist

com.webhelper.plist

com.webtools.uninstaller.plist

com.webtools.update.agent.plist

flashmall_updater.plist

flashmall_updater.sh

WebSocketServerApp

Here * stands for a variable six-digit number. Some of these files may be absent. Move any that you have to the Trash and close the Finder window. Log out or restart the computer. The trojan will now be inactive, but there are a few more components of it that should be cleaned up.

3. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library/Application Support

A folder named "Application Support" will open. Inside it there may be a subfolder with this name:

webHelperApp

If so, move that subfolder—not the "Application Support" folder—to the Trash.

4. Finally, open this folder in the same way as above:

~/Library

Look for a subfolder with this name:

WebTools

and move it to the Trash, if present. Finally, empty the Trash.

Apr 28, 2015 6:12 PM in response to knclp

Are you logged as "Administrator"?

>

How to remove Mac App Store apps that appear in Launchpad

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202235
Apple Inc.

Feb 13, 2015 - Follow these steps while you are logged in with an administrator account:• Enter Launchpad. • Click and hold on an icon until you see all icons jiggle. • Click the "x" button in the upper-left of the Mac App Store app icon you want to delete. ... • Click "Delete" in the confirmation dialog to delete the app.

Apr 29, 2015 10:50 AM in response to knclp

knclp wrote:

yes i am the administrator, unfortunatly with this flashmall icon when you do those steps it does jiggle but does not provide the "x" as many of the other icons do.

You cannot remove apps that way unless they were downloaded from the Mac App Store. Flashmall wasn't, so you cannot remove it from within Launchpad.

In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu. This will open your Applications folder in a Finder window. Do you see a Flashmall app there? If so, drag it from there to the trash. You may be asked to provide your admin password.

If you don't see a Flashmall app there, let us know.

Apr 30, 2015 3:51 AM in response to knclp

That may mean that there's still a Flashmall app on your hard drive somewhere. What did you do to remove the rest of the Flashmall adware components from your computer?

Download a copy of EasyFind from here:

http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

Search your entire hard drive for anything named "Flashmall". Let us know what is found, and where.

HOW DO I GET RID OF FLASHMALL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.