Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fcp 7 crashing during log and capture firewire yosemite

with FCP 7.0.3 I have a problem capturing DVCPRO HD 1080i/50i and DVCPRO HD 720p via FireWire an Panasonic AG HVX 200.

The first and the second time is Ok and the third time when I capturing with log and capture, FCP 7 crash.

In DVCPro Pal it’s Ok

I work with a new MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)2,5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3 and a Panasonic AG-HVX 202AEN

I have another MacBook Pro with mavericks and I am capturing without problem

I try to work on my new Macbook pro:

- with the same configuration of my old

- with a new configuration Yosemite and installing FCP 7.03, Pro Applications Update 2010–02, ProVideoFormats.dmg

and it’s the same FCP 7 crash.

Somebody have a solution?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 7:04 PM

12 replies

Jul 7, 2017 5:11 AM in response to Shane Ross

Your point is well taken, however, many people are using FCP under later OS X versions with no issues. There may be some things that won't work but enough people are using it that most if not all aspects of the program have been used. I'm sure ericelma knew the program is no longer supported so your condescending reply was not helpful. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

I'm using Premier but also FCP 7.0.3 on a power mac running Yosemite...no problems with what I do. Do I ingest every format with every setting? No. Does what I do work? Yup.

Jul 7, 2017 10:20 AM in response to Hoosierboy60

Some...SOME people are getting it to work under later OS versions well. The vast majority of FCP stations that try to go with OS versions beyond 10.9 have issues. I'm talking 90% of these stations having issues. And I am talking professional post house in Hollywood environments. So the ones that want to continue using FCP 7 flawlessly go back to older OS versions...it's the only bulletproof way.

My post was helpful, it pointed out that MANY machines have issues with FCP 7 and newer OS versions, and that the BEST solution is to go to a supported OS. It's the best answer. Best not lecture me on what is and isn't helpful. I've been helping people on these and other forums for over 10 years.

Feb 24, 2015 1:02 AM in response to ericelma

FCP 7 was discontinued 4 years ago. It isn't supported under the Yosemite OS. It wasn't supported under the Mavericks OS. What that means is that those OS versions were written without taking FCP 7 into consideration...without ensuring it will work. Apple is focused on FCX. So the app won't be fully functional...some features won't work, you have found one of them. If this works under Mavericks, then capture under Mavericks.

If you plan on continuing to use FCP 7, then it's best to keep it running on a machine with the supported OS...and not updating that OS. This means that you cannot use it on newer machines, as they cannot run older OS versions. If you plan on updating the OS, or computer, then it's wise to shift to a current, supported editing app.

Sorry.

Feb 24, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Shane Ross

thanks for your reply

I am very happy to find a feature that don’t work,

If I work with FCP 7 it’s because I couldn’t capture with Final Cut X directly with firewire like FCP 7.

I am working for TV and I dont have time to Capture on P2 Card and then import in FCP X.

I bough a New MacBook Pro, It’s not cheap and I am very very happy that I couldn’t work with…

Thanks to other people if they have a best other solution than yours.

Mar 1, 2015 4:03 PM in response to ericelma

You may want to try resetting FCP by deleting its preferences. You can use Preference Manager Once preferences are deleted you will need to input your capture and project settings from scratch. However, I noticed that you device control preset is the "Non Controllable Device" Is there a reason for this / have you tried using the DVCPRO HD 1080i50 FireWire or DVCPRO HD FireWire ones?

If none of the above works you may need / have to try changing your workflow a little: instead of using DVCPRO as your Sequence preset you may have better luck by using ProRes.

As Shane wrote, FCP is defunct technology and the more the OS gets updated the more problematic it will be. If the problem is not resolved no matter what but you continue relying on this particular version of Final Cut Pro, it may be well worth it to use a previous version of the OS where you know your workflow is smooth until you have a viable alternative.

I hope this helps.

Mar 2, 2015 3:05 AM in response to hyphen

I have bought a new Macbook pro and I cant use a previous version

I try to work on my new Macbook pro:

- with the same configuration of my old running on 10.9

and after formatting the Hard Disk I instal Yosemite and FCP 7.03, Pro Applications Update 2010–02, ProVideoFormats.dmg and it's a same thing

Thanks for your reply

Eric

fcp 7 crashing during log and capture firewire yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.