Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 / FCP X - Frustrating Drop Zones

I've been (trying) to use Drop Zones lately on a number of projects and while I've been able to kludge things here and there to get them to work properly, they sure have frustrated me. The projects I'm working on need snippets of properly timed video floating around the screen, usually within the opening sequence for the video. The trouble is I've never been able to really figure out the timing for these things.

1) Initially, the logical thought was (for me, at least) to set at least an in point for the video before dropping it into the Drop Zone in FCP X. That certainly didn't work because it appeared as though FCP X totally ignored my clip's in point. I wanted that clip video to start exactly at the beginning of that drop zone.

2) Since that didn't work I did some Internet research and someone posted that Drop Zones ignore clip in points. They said that when selecting the clip for the drop zone to place the cursor on the exact frame where you want the video to start before applying it to the Drop Zone. Well, that works to an extent.

Here's what I found after doing some experimentation in both Motion 5 and FCP X (latest versions of each). First, I created a video with timecode in it so that I could accurately track where the video really started on the first frame of the individual Drop Zone. The video starts with 10 seconds of color bars followed by 5 minutes of burned in timecode, then another 10 seconds of color bars. I created a simple Motion Generator with four Drop Zones - upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right. Each Drop Zone was placed exactly 10 seconds apart. So, for example:

For the first test I placed each Drop Zone within one Group in Motion. Drop Zones start at the following timecode for each location as follows:

UL: 00:00:00:00

LL: 00:00:10:00

UR: 00:00:20:00

LR: 00:00:30:00

After publishing the project, I loaded it into FCP X. I used the same timecode video for each Drop Zone starting it at timecode value 00:01:00:00. Now, one would think that each drop zone window, having been placed exactly 10 seconds apart, would show timecode values for the inserted videos also each 10 seconds apart. But they don't! All four Drop Zones show exactly the same timecode value. They are acting as if all four were placed within the Motion 5 timeline starting at 00:00:00:00. But they weren't.

So, I thought, what would happen if I placed each Drop Zone in Motion in a separate Group? I created four Groups, each one holding only one Drop Zone. It didn't make a difference. The timecode videos in each window were still in sync with one another.

The only way I can get this to work properly is to offset the beginning of each clip by -10 seconds. Unfortunately, if there's not enough "preroll" in the clip to do that, I'm out of luck.

But it gets stranger! Further experimentation leads me to believe that all of the Drop Zones within a project reference themselves to the very first Drop Zone within the project. I picked a new point within the timecode video - in this case, the 2 minute point (00:02:00:00) and dropped it into the UL drop zone. I did the same then for the other three and now they all track based on that 00:02:00:00 point within the video!

But it gets even stranger!!! I tried one more experiment, this time loading the Drop Zones in reverse order. That seemed to work. But still, why should I have to mess around like this trying to sync drop zones in some of weird order?

The question is, why do Drop Zones work this way and what can be done to fix this problem? However I select the first frame of video for a particular drop zone should be what that drop zone references when rendering. Ideally it would be great to be able to use an in point on the clip, but I'm also happy with just moving the clip's cursor to the first frame. It's easy enough to do. Hopefully the software team working on these apps can come up with a solution that makes sense. Thanks.

John

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 3:23 PM

8 replies

May 31, 2016 8:56 PM in response to John Trautschold

I've never known this behavior to be a bug — it's just the way it has always worked. The Timecode generator is not part of Motion per se and it cannot be manipulated by starting it at different offsets into the timeline: The Timecode generator *ALWAYS* shows the current time of the FCPX storyline (adjusted manually by the Offset parameter.)

If you want to "adjust" the TC of clips in your template, then you have to publish the Offset parameter of each Timecode generator you use. If you've timed the appearance of each of the four drop zones, then you have to set DZ#2 to -10 seconds behind the first one (or more accurately, 23:59:50:00 ahead.) DZ#3 will be set 20 seconds behind, etc.

If you start the template at the beginning of the storyline, then the times of each of the DZs will start at 00:00:00:00, but if the template starts any time later, the TC generator will be adjusted that much further in time. IF you "stretch" the time of the template, then all the offsets will reflect the differences in time scaled by the time stretch (make sense? They will each maintain accurate time on playback, but their starting times will be offset from your designed templates original length.) The easiest way to reset the starting TCs of your template (not starting at the beginning of the storyline) by selecting the Project in the Event Browser, going to the Info Inspector and clicking on the Modify Settings button. Find the Starting Timecode and adjust it to 24 hours minus the amount of time the beginning of the template is into the project (e.g.: if your template starts 1 minute into the project, you would set the TC to 23:59:00:00. If you use the template more than once in a project, you're better off setting the offsets of the individual Timecodes manually (you can't modify the starting TC more than once.)

(drop zone order: UL UR LL LR)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

HTH

Jun 1, 2016 3:13 AM in response to fox_m

From what I remember there was a time when FCPX first was released that wherever the play head was placed on the generator's drop zone would sync up with whatever frame we clicked on the media in the browser we chose for the drop zone.

This is the way I believe it should work. If we want a media to be seen at a certain team in the drop zone we should simply select that frame on the media. This is how it worked in FCP7 and it is the way it worked when FCPX first was released. Sadly it does not work this way anymore.

I believe the original poster was just using the TC generator to test the offset of how the drop zone does not sync the frames as it used to before. This is how I discovered that issue as well the offset is based on the where the start of the generator was placed, which does not make sense to me.

Jun 3, 2016 6:44 AM in response to BenB

I am pretty sure it did in an earlier version of FCPX. I remember I loved that I can sync my videos to my playhead. Then when I discovered this issue with an update it irritated me as the workaround is not fun. Before I was just able to click on the frame I had wanted to match to with the playhead on the timeline. That to me is the way it should work.

Motion 5 / FCP X - Frustrating Drop Zones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.