Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open iPhoto

I can't seem to open iPhoto on my mac, i keep getting a message that the disk is locked and i don't have permission. I have tried clicking repair after it prompts me to and after putting my password it gives me a similar message saying the disk is locked and i don't have permission to change it. I have also tried creating another library but it's empty and i need access to my old photos. Another thing i have also tried is to download iPhoto library manager but then it requires to purchase the application in order to to move any files. Can someone please help me fix this problem without the need of purchasing an application? Thanks!

BTW the operating system is OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2

Iphoto version 9.6

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 6:05 PM

20 replies

Feb 23, 2015 7:27 PM in response to achaker

First, if you've moved the iPhoto library to an external drive, make sure that drive is mounted by opening it in the Finder.

The issue can be caused by sharing the photo library on a network (against Apple's advice) or by opening it in more than one local user account at the same time. You may be able to clear the error by logging out or restarting the computer. If not, do as follows.

Quit iPhoto if it's running, locally or on any file-sharing client. Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder. Usually it's in the Pictures folder, but you may have moved it somewhere else. Right-click or control-click the library icon and select

Show Package Contents

from the popup menu. In the folder that opens, navigate to

Database/apdb/lockfile.pid

and move that file, if it exists, to the Trash. Close the Finder window.

Credit for this observation to ASC member Elijahg.

Feb 24, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Linc Davis

I am sorry i may not have been clear, i mean i cannot the locate the link you had given me under the package content. I don't see that name anywhere to be able to remove it and now i am encountering some different issues, i am not sure what is happening with this computer. I just ran a diagnostic and it says there are no problems with the hard drive but i can't open finder and my desktop icons are missing. I think it might be related to a memory issue because it keeps telling me that the disk is full and to delete some files. Not sure how to check which files are taking up so much memory and i can't open them either. Do you think that the iPhoto problem is somehow related to this? Or is it a separate issue?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 8:09 AM in response to achaker

things you do not need

The best solution is going to be to use an external drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) for your iphoto and your iTunes libraries

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

LN

I can't open iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.