Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't see external library from older computer

Hey guys. I had a 2008 iMac with iTunes set up to read all of my music, movies, TV shows, etc. from an external hard drive. I recently got a new MacBook Pro and am trying to get iTunes 12.1 to see all of my existing media, with no luck.

My iMac was running Mavericks (and I guess iTunes 11?), which I assume auto-updated my older library and paths to be compatible. However, my MacBook Pro is running Yosemite (10.10.2) with iTunes 12.1. It used to be that you could just point iTunes to your existing iTunes or iTunes/Music folder and everything would instantly be available in iTunes with no problem. I've noticed in 12.1, though, that iTunes now builds its own iTunes Media folder, separates music from TV shows, movies, ringtones, etc., and has an iTunes library file in addition to several other database sidecar files.

My question is, how the **** do I get iTunes to just see my existing media? When I try pointing iTunes to the external HD, it creates an all new iTunes Media folder with db files in it. If I create that folder myself, it creates its own subfolder with existing db files. Even then, the db files don't actually point to any of my music, but rather to an empty library.

I've tried "add to library", but instead of just adding the info for accessibility, like it used to do, iTunes is actually copying every one of my files into the new folder. Given how huge my library is, I don't have the time or HD space for iTunes to copy and paste what's already there.

Any suggestions? I just want to point iTunes to my already existing files and folders from the previous version of iTunes without duplicating or losing anything.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iTunes 12.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 10:53 PM

Nothing has changed in the folder structure in iTunes in over 5 years. You can "point" iTunes but you can only point it to a library file which itself has references to the exact location of the files used in the library. You do that by holding down the option/alt key while starting iTunes. You can not tell iTunes where to find media by using preferences settings. In that regard nothing has changed in iTunes since day one. Nor will iTunes inventory what is in a location if you set that location to be the media folder location. It will only store newly added media there.

So, if you have a complete iTunes folder on the external drive, start iTunes with the option/alt key held down and choose the iTunes library on the external drive. If you don't, do the same and create a new library on that drive and add media to the library, preferably by dragging it to the Automatically add to iTunes folder.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2015 10:53 PM in response to sk8bette

Nothing has changed in the folder structure in iTunes in over 5 years. You can "point" iTunes but you can only point it to a library file which itself has references to the exact location of the files used in the library. You do that by holding down the option/alt key while starting iTunes. You can not tell iTunes where to find media by using preferences settings. In that regard nothing has changed in iTunes since day one. Nor will iTunes inventory what is in a location if you set that location to be the media folder location. It will only store newly added media there.

So, if you have a complete iTunes folder on the external drive, start iTunes with the option/alt key held down and choose the iTunes library on the external drive. If you don't, do the same and create a new library on that drive and add media to the library, preferably by dragging it to the Automatically add to iTunes folder.

Feb 24, 2015 12:05 PM in response to Limnos

Perhaps it's because I first moved my library to the external HD years ago that I was able to "point it" to a folder, so to speak, and it was able to upgrade the library file with each version of iTunes. But, as it stands, the current version of iTunes does not see any of my media. What's more, it doesn't recognize my existing library file as a valid iTunes file (again, the file and library are coming from an older computer running Mavericks and an older version of iTunes). I directed iTunes to my media folder using the hold-down-Option method you're talking about, and it said that no library file existed in the location, even though I was looking right at it.

I noticed that the library file naming structure seems to have changed, as did the naming structure of iTunes itself (from iTunes Music to iTunes Media, for example). Perhaps that's why?

All I know is that my old computer had a Music folder on the internal HD that contained my iTunes library info. That info pointed to my external HD, where all the actual media was held (all created by iTunes). Now, on my new computer with iTunes 12.1, iTunes doesn't see the existing library file, doesn't see the existing media or folders, and continues to rebuild a new library every time I attempt to redirect it. And again, if I try to add my music to the newly built library, it copies every single file... thousands of files. Back in the day you could "import" (e.g. physically copy to the library folder), or "add" (e.g. virtually add but leave files in existing location). Does this mean that's not the case anymore?

Should I just start from scratch and let it copy the thousands of files into a new location and rebuild the whole library, or is there an easier way? I'm going off a backup that's only one OS behind. This shouldn't be that complex.

Feb 24, 2015 3:58 PM in response to sk8bette

I have not updated iTunes in a long time. While I cannot say that iTunes 12 would not have problems opening an iTunes 2 library generally a newer version can open any older version library, but not the other way around. Are you trying to open an iTunes 2 library?

As far as iTunes and the option key thing is concerned the library is a file called "iTunes Library.itl" and it is located in the iTunes folder, not the media folder. A media folder is only a bunch of media files and not a library, the way a pile of books on an empty city block is not a city library. If you do not have that file then you do not have a structured library and will have to build one from scratch with your media files. Sometimes people put only media on an external drive and leave the rest of iTunes which makes up the complete library on the internal drive. You need to recover that part (basically your iTunes folder) and replace the iTunes folder on your computer with it. It has the .itl file containing all the information pointing to those files on the external drive.

What are the iTunes library files? - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1660

More on iTunes library files and what they do - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes#Media_management

What are all those iTunes files? - http://www.macworld.com/article/139974/2009/04/itunes_files.html

Where are my iTunes files located? - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1391

iTunes 9 [and later]: Understanding iTunes Media Organization - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3847 - plus supplemental information about organizing to new structure https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6477809?answerId=26404702022#26404702022

In terms of basic iTunes file functionality, apart from a bit of renaming and restructuring about 6 years ago nothing much has changed since before iTunes was iTunes and it was a shareware product called Soundjam.

Image of folder structure and explanation of different iTunes versions (turingtest2 post) - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 and making an iTunes library portable.

Apr 13, 2015 7:37 AM in response to sk8bette

All I know is that my old computer had a Music folder on the internal HD that contained my iTunes library info. That info pointed to my external HD, where all the actual media was held (all created by iTunes).

Copy this music folder to the new computer.

Now, on my new computer with iTunes 12.1, iTunes doesn't see the existing library file, doesn't see the existing media or folders, and continues to rebuild a new library every time I attempt to redirect it.

If you had only the media on the external as you indicated, then iTunes will build a new iTunes library file.

Do this.

1. Connect external to old computer.
  2. Do not launch iTunes.
  3. Copy the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder to external.
  4. On the external move, the entire /iTunes media/ folder on the external into /iTunes/ folder you just copied to the external.
  5. Plug drive into new computer.
  6. Hold Option and launch iTunes.
  7. Select Choose library… and select the iTunes folder on the external.

This is all you need to do. You do not need to point iTunes prefs anywhere else...

iTunes can't see external library from older computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.