Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP + Thunderbolt Display in Clam Shell Mode makes windows jump around

Since updating to 10.10.2 I've had the weirdest experience with application windows. If I move a window to the far left side of the display and then resize it it jumps to the middle of the screen. If I create a new folder in Finder and want to rename it, the text field where I should write the new name appears somewehere else on the screen.

I think this has to do with that I run in clam shell mode (closed laptop) with an external display. It seems like the computer think that the screen is smaller than it is when positioning some elements. Sometimes a restart cant help but only for a short period.

I'm running a mid 2012 MBP 2,6 GHz i7 and an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Anyone else having the same issues or have any ideas for a solution?

Cheers!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), + Thunderbold Display

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 5:28 AM

4 replies

Feb 24, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Trevald

I have this issue. Everything goes completely nuts, almost as if the cursor gets a life of it's own!

I have to run the laptop slightly open now. Yes it recognises that there are two screens, but it's not such an issue. If you're using a Wacom tablet you can set it to just map to your main screen.

Hopefully we're not the only ones.

I have a Late 2013 rMBP (13") running a LG Ultrawide thunderbolt display. Although I was getting the issue on another display (non-thunderbolt).

Mar 4, 2015 4:20 AM in response to Steve Arscott

I thought I might just bump this thread. Anyone have any ideas?

Trevald, do you have any 'helper' apps (for want of a better name) i.e. smaller apps that run in the background or apps that modify Finder for example?

I currently have various things running most of the time, for example:

• JiTouch (to add a few gestures to my Magic Trackpad).
  • Wacom software (to run my Wacom Tablet)
  • Google Drive
  • Dropbox
  • Caffeine (shortcut to stop the Mac going to sleep, useful when sending large files etc)
  • Toggl (time tracking software)
  • Transmit (FTP app)
  • 1Password
  • Fantastical
  • Wunderlist
  • FontExplorer X Pro
  • Alfred

Do you happen to run any of these often?

I'm just wondering if we have something else in common...

Mar 4, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Steve Arscott

Actually my problem have gone away since a couple of days ago. Not realy sure what's different, maybe an update of some kind that solved it or maybe it will return again. Usually when it's gone away it's only for a couple of hours.

I have some helper apps installed. Some of which you have to:

• Alfred
  • Dropbox
  • Google Drive
  • 1Password

I can't remember updating any one recently, though for example Dropbox updates itself so I can't be sure. I've also been thinking that maybe one of these have messed up things but to turn them of one by one and test is just to time-consuming.

From the apps you mention I guess we're in sort of the same kind of work, I'm a webbdesigner and developer so that something we got incommon 🙂.

MBP + Thunderbolt Display in Clam Shell Mode makes windows jump around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.