Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro will not fully load

I recently installed Yosemite, it installed fine and has been running. My mac later froze up and I did a force shutdown by holding down the power button. Now whenever I turn it on, the homescreen will not finish loading. Sometimes the app symbols in the dockbar will be greyed out and the status bar is missing. Other times, everything will load but when I click anything, I just get the beach ball spinning. It will also not load in safe mode. I can get to recovery though.

Is it possible my startup disk is too full. Is there a way to make space in recovery?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 6:11 AM

Try restarting into Recovery Mode (Command+R) then launch Disk Utility, select your Macintosh HD and run a Verify Disk. If there are errors, run the Repair Disk.

If the above doesn't help, try a PRAM reset. When you do this, you may need to go into Startup Disk and re-select your Macintosh HD.

11 replies

Feb 25, 2015 5:28 AM in response to keg55

I reset PRAM and ran Verify Disk again but it did not seem to correct the problem.

I can log-in as a guest user and everything works fine. The trouble is when I log-in with my account (admin). As soon as I click on anything, I get the beach ball. Sometimes it will go away, but it will still not load anything. I can also not log-in to safe mode with my admin account.

This is what my dock bar looks like now. Some icons are shown twice, but when I hover over them, the text box says it is another app. Also, some icons are greyed out.

User uploaded file

Feb 25, 2015 9:18 AM in response to mcgowan.kr

Add a new User (Standard) account and log into it. If it all looks good, then there is something (app maybe) in YOUR account that is causing you the issues.

You could try checking your user account's Login Items, write down the entries and then delete all of those entries, restart, login and see if your issues are gone. If they are gone, then you can add each Login Item back in until you find the one causing your issues.

Feb 25, 2015 4:48 PM in response to keg55

Thank you very much for the reply, I really do appreciate it.

I was able to create another user and log-in fine. I ended up making it an admin as well so I could enable file sharing. I was able to see all of the data that was under my other admin account. So I guess the problem lies with my original account. Not sure what would do this though.

I am not able to edit the Login Items for my original admin account. I cannot edit them when I am logged in as the new user and whenever I use the original account, it freezes before I can get to it.

Feb 26, 2015 3:37 AM in response to mcgowan.kr

mcgowan.kr wrote:

I am not able to edit the Login Items for my original admin account. I cannot edit them when I am logged in as the new user and whenever I use the original account, it freezes before I can get to it.

Since you have a new user account that's an admin, I would make sure I have a back up of my original user account, delete that account along with it's home folder and recreate that account as an admin. When you delete the user account's Home folder (without securely erasing), it will keep it in the /Users folder as UserName (deleted). Log out of your new account and back into your newly created user account and copy your data back from your back up. See if things are OK.

Feb 26, 2015 5:17 PM in response to keg55

Thank you for the reply.

I was able to delete the user while keeping the folder intact. Based off of these instructions, I should have been able to recreate the user and have it use the same folder (after I remove deleted). I am able to use the same folder, but it still gives me the same error. I can log-in but I cannot click anything.

OS X Yosemite: Restore a deleted user

At this point I am kind of resigned to just using a different user account and access the other user folder if I need anything from it.

Is there a way to bring the old user data to the new user? I try to drag it over but I get an error.

Feb 27, 2015 4:12 AM in response to mcgowan.kr

mcgowan.kr wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

recreate the user and have it use the same folder (after I remove deleted). I am able to use the same folder, but it still gives me the same error. I can log-in but I cannot click anything.

Unfortunately, you recreated your issue!

The whole point of deleting your User account and recreating it is to start clean with a new User Home folder. Then, you copy the contents of your old Home folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, etc.) from the UserName(deleted) folder into your new recreated UserName Home folder (without the deleted).

So, you are back to square one and need to start over by logging into your other Admin User account. Then, delete the User account you just created and select the Don't change the Home folder so that when you delete the account it saves that User Home folder to UserName(deleted). Next, add a new User account as the same name you had before as an Administrator type. Last, log out of the Admin account you are in and login to your new User account and check to see if your issue is gone. If it is, then copy files from the UserName(deleted) folder to your new User account folders and when everything looks fine, you can delete the UserName(deleted) folder. But NOT until you are 100% sure everything is fine.

Macbook Pro will not fully load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.