Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine 3TB, OS X Mavericks imac, how to delete some backups (need the space for specific data backup) ?

I have time machine 3TB, OS X Mavericks imac, have backed up some 1TB of data to the TM independent of daily backups...now trying to add more specific data to TM as backup..BUT, insufficient space available as all extra space taken by daily backups...PROBLEM is, how to delete some backups?

I have tried deleting backups, but although they appear in Trash, and I tried to empty securely, the trash simply does not complete the instruction (Despite me entering proper passwords, etc)

I need to delete some (or all) backups so as to create space on the TM for some specific data I want to backup (independent of daily backups)..

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 4:39 AM

9 replies

Feb 24, 2015 11:23 AM in response to h206

Time Machine has some complex access control permissions on files & folders. You are going about removing items in a risky way. The Finder has a habit of not wanting to allow you to remove items from a Time Machine backup.

You should probably use the built in method to remove items.

e.g. enter Time machine, find the items & use the gear to remove them.

http://pondini.org/TM/12.html

It's not a good idea to use a Time Machine disk for other backups in my opinion –

• One copy of any important file is a bad idea, two copies on the same disk is equally bad. Entire disks can die, get another disk for some actual redundancy, use it for 'archives' e.g. files that don't need altering anymore.
  • On occasion Time Machine has broken for me, so was simply a good idea to erase the backup disk & start over, you can't do that when you need other data from it before erasing.
  • Juggling items on the TM disk encourages this type of deleting, eventually you forget how to do it properly, go back to Finder & break things accidentally by dragging to the trash…
  • TM will save more history with more space, you may find the file you want has been deleted by TM if backup space gets limited.

Feb 25, 2015 4:30 AM in response to Drew Reece

Many thanks for your detailed advice. I guess my best course is to cut/copy the specific data from the TM to another EHD...then, i order to restore the TM to its original condition for use as a TM backup for my iMac, I'd best reformat the TM (so as to erase all confusion resulting from my actions...then start again?

Any advice on best way to reformat the TM (after I've removed all data)?

Feb 25, 2015 4:31 AM in response to tbirdvet

Many thanks for your advice. I guess my best course is to cut/copy the specific data from the TM to another EHD...then, i order to restore the TM to its original condition for use as a TM backup for my iMac, I'd best reformat the TM (so as to erase all confusion resulting from my actions...then start again?

Any advice on best way to reformat the TM (after I've removed all data)?

Feb 25, 2015 8:12 AM in response to h206

If you want anything else on that drive besides TM, I'd suggest you reformat it into 2 partitions - one for TM and a smaller (?) one for other backup things. As TM will slowly take over all the space of whatever size drive it's backing up to, it's best to have it on its own partition.

Also, you should not have your only backups on only one drive; all hard drives will fail at some point. I have my backups backed up so I have two identical copies on different hard drives.

Mar 3, 2015 10:32 AM in response to babowa

Thanks!

I decided to use the TM as EHD, but not for the iMac as a time machine idea...but persistently unable to wipe the disk clean from its previous use as TM backup...I've erased it, and erased it....but still on Get Info i find i've only got 113GB left available out of 3TB capacity!

Don't know how to erase/clean/reformat this 3TB Airport Time Capsule?

Any ideas welcome!

Mar 3, 2015 11:28 AM in response to h206

I don't use Time Machine, so i do not know if the app itself needs to be "involved" here, but the normal steps would be to go to Disk utility, highlight that external, and then click on erase. You might need to choose to repartition and don't forget to backup any other data somewhere else temporarily or you might lose everything.

Edit: Disregard my reference to Disk utility - see this document here on how to erase it:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5084?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

time machine 3TB, OS X Mavericks imac, how to delete some backups (need the space for specific data backup) ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.