Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just updated to itunes 12.1.1.4 and now cannot see ipod touch

Running itunes under Windows 8.1 and having updated itunes to 12.1.1.4 I now cannot see my iPod Touch 4 running under 6.1.6. Tried all the full switch off routines and swapped cable for another spare. I get the beep from ipod and it charges but doesn't appear on itunes screen. Therefore synch impossible without it appearing. Tried my wife's iPad 3 running under latest 8.1.3. and get same result. Any ideas anyone??

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6, 64GB

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 8:32 AM

Hi musiclover63,

It sounds like you have a few iOS devices that aren’t recognized by iTunes on your PC. Take a look at the article linked below and try running through the troubleshooting suggestions that it provides.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

So long,

-Jason

9 replies

Feb 25, 2015 12:45 PM in response to musiclover63

Jason - great advice. Not the easiest to solve but followed the route to re-establishing the driver for both devices and we are back up and synched. Begs the question how did it happen. It was working minutes before the latest itunes update and then both devices (ipod and ipad) became invisible. You would have to suspect the 12.1.1.4 release!! Anyway we are up and thanks again.

Feb 25, 2015 2:00 PM in response to MJMIGUEL

I basically followed followed the link Jason provided. I didn't see my device listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and so followed the next instruction to 'If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed'. I opened Device Manager and saw my device listed. I then asked to update driver etc.. and found it at the folder location suggested (under 'Have Disk') and selected it and installed from 'disk'. It then made the ipod beep and it appeared in itunes. Success. My wife's ipad also came back after same procedure. Hope this helps. Basically follow the path as in Jason't post. Good luck.

Mar 7, 2015 10:45 AM in response to musiclover63

Hello,

I've got a related problem and could do with some help. After installing itunes 12.1.1.4 on a Windows8 machine, "an ipod has been detected but could not be identified properly.Please disconnect and reconnect the ipod" etc.

I've disconnected, reconnected several times with all available USB ports, restarted the machine several times, uninstalled and re-installed itunes three times, restarted the mobile device service twice in all conceivable combinations. I still get the same error message, and the ipod is not charging. The USB mass storage device controller has a warning triangle on it when the ipod is connected. Flash disks work ok.

Is there a possibility, and is it worth a try, installing an older version of itunes?

Cheers,

See

Mar 13, 2015 12:32 PM in response to s.e.eckert

For clarification, this is not an "earlier version". The standard 64-bit version of 12.1.1.4 is a full 64-bit application. The "for older video cards" version is, like most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes, a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer. The "for older video cards" label is a little misleading, as this also fixes some playback issues, QuickTime and Outlook interoperability errors, and problems with other third-party applications.

Just updated to itunes 12.1.1.4 and now cannot see ipod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.