Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP restarting itself lately

Hi,

My MacBook Pro (2011, 15”, 2 ghz/8 gb ram/10.10.2) has been restarting itself lately, 3x in the past 3 days. I though Safari might be causing it but today, it happened as Picassa was looking through a new folder I let it look at. That gave me a grey screen telling me there was a problem. The other restarts just went to a black screen and restarted. NONE brought up the Crash Reporter on restart. (I’ve found that to be flakey over the years…)

Where should I start in trying to remedy this. I did do an Apple Hardware test a few days ago, on the net, and it didn’t find any problems using the short exam.

I’d be happy to share a log but don’t know which one. I can zap the P-Ram if you think that’s a good idea. Maybe I need to reset the SMC?

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers,

John L

Mac OS X (10.0.x), 2011 15" MBP Quad core, 2.0/500/8

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 9:26 AM

Hey There lipwak,

The resource below will guide you through some troubleshooting steps for the issue you are having with your MacBook restarting. This a pretty comprehensive guide, so not every suggestion will apply, but it should guide you along the path to a resolution.

OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem." - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2015 9:26 AM in response to lipwak

Hey There lipwak,

The resource below will guide you through some troubleshooting steps for the issue you are having with your MacBook restarting. This a pretty comprehensive guide, so not every suggestion will apply, but it should guide you along the path to a resolution.

OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem." - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Feb 25, 2015 11:08 AM in response to judysings

Thanks, Judy. I have to decide whether I want to test or just reinstall the OS I think. It's been good today though awfully slow to respond at times. it restarted twice by itself yesterday. I realize I may not know if it's hardware related if I just reinstall but it may end up solving the problem, though it seems whatever I have to do will be a big deal. I was hoping for a more simple fix like a simple P-Ram reset or such (though a P-Ram reset doesn't seem to be at all needed...)

I wish the Crash Reporter would appear after these crashes. I wonder why it hasn't for any of these.. As far as I know, there isn't any way to force it to report though I guess I could send unsolicited logs to Apple, though I wouldn't know which ones to send.

I also notice that they offer a disk image/restore route but don't mention using Time Machine. I've reinstalled from that before but not with Yosemite. That may be my only restoring option as I don't have enough free space on my other external drives.

Cheers,

John

Feb 27, 2015 8:19 AM in response to lipwak

Well, two days ago I erased, resintalled OSX and my data (data from Time Capsule using OSX installer) and all seemed well. Today, as I opened Picassa, which besides Safari, was causing these kernal panics, it caused one again. (No Crash Report on restart...)

I looked on the Picassa help site but "kernal panic" and "osx" won't find anything ("kernal panic" found one unanswered 2009 post...) so I just won't use Picassa for awhile and hope that the next time I do it has been updated.

One other weird thing: two app icons for aliases on my desktop are white. The one other app alias is fine. When I try to create new ones for those apps, they appear normal and then when I drag them onto the desktop, they turn back into white icons. (Today it waited until I threw out the old white icon...) The apps it is doing this for are iShowU and Quicktime Player and Quicktime Player 7. Also weird is that two of the apps are in the shape of document icons and the third, QT Player 7, is in the shape of a folder!

Might be some other weirdnesses too. I'll try and update this as I notice them.

Cheers,

John

Feb 27, 2015 2:40 PM in response to lipwak

It just crashed and restarted twice (one immediately after the other) after I double clicked on a pic in the Finder.

Back to the drawing board. Am thinking this is a hardware problem now. I can't replace the RAM so taking it to Apple is probably my next step. I might be able to try using an external drive as they suggest...

Feb 28, 2015 10:34 AM in response to lipwak

I swapped the memory with the memory that came with the computer (4gb total). I got a rpcsvhost process eating up 100% of my CPU so I killed it. I then retried Picassa. Once it loaded it caused a kernel panic. On restart though, bootup was MUCH quicker then it has been in years... and it seemed to be more responsive.

As soon as I finished this note, Crash Reporter appeared. I only had the option to report it so I did with an explanation.

I'll put the 8 gb memory back in but think this is interesting. If it's not memory, and Rember doesn't think it is either, than I don't know what hardware problem it could be.

Feb 28, 2015 11:11 AM in response to lipwak

This issue is directly addressed in the current recall on this machine:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

"Computer restarts unexpectedly"

"on the net, and it didn’t find any problems using the short exam."

On the last recall due to video problems a Mac Tech in Chicago and I ran the ASD on a MacBook for 4 hours on loop before it kicked out an error code. It belonged to a client of mine and had been rejected for recall since they couldn't get it to error out. She took the code we found and got her Mac repaired for free.

Feb 28, 2015 11:13 AM in response to my ginger

Would this crash report help? It seems too short, judging from other crash reports I've seen here...

Feb 28 13:17:45.625863 localhost discoveryd_helper[151]: Basic RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper Starting XPC Server

Feb 28 13:17:45.626632 localhost discoveryd_helper[151]: Detailed RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper XPC connection 0x7fc369c08fb0: start (pid=50, <unknown> not root)

Feb 28 13:22:17.710064 MacBookPro.local discoveryd_helper[150]: Basic RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper Starting XPC Server

Feb 28 13:22:17.710614 MacBookPro.local discoveryd_helper[150]: Detailed RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper XPC connection 0x7ffd61100d90: start (pid=50, <unknown> not root)

Feb 28 13:43:29.741567 MacBookPro.local discoveryd_helper[150]: Basic RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper Starting XPC Server

Feb 28 13:43:29.742131 MacBookPro.local discoveryd_helper[150]: Detailed RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper XPC connection 0x7ff192d009b0: start (pid=50, <unknown> not root)

Feb 28 14:05:43.851966 MacBookPro.local discoveryd_helper[150]: Basic RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper Starting XPC Server

Feb 28 14:05:43.852475 MacBookPro.local discoveryd_helper[150]: Detailed RemoteControl com.apple.discoveryd_helper XPC connection 0x7ffbdb900440: start (pid=50, <unknown> not root)

Feb 28, 2015 12:06 PM in response to lipwak

Hi. you may have to delete the rpcvshost as I see a lot of posts about thats eating up lots memory. Did you ever do the pram reset? You could also use disk utilities to repair permissions and check the disk by verifying it. If it needs repair go to recovery and use the utilities option. If it does a restart while in the recovery menu it is most likely hardware. If you would like to see if it's software, you could run Etrecheck and post the results. http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Feb 28, 2015 12:35 PM in response to my ginger

I'm not seeing how I can delete the rpcsvhost. I can keep quitting it but I have a feeling it won't come back. It's only appeared after each time I've replaced the RAM. Never seen it before that, though I did trash CleanMyMac a day or so ago and I've seen that it has been connected to that. (I didn't uninstall CMM. Maybe I'll need to do that...)

I haven't zapped the P-Ram. I'm hoping the recall will fix things. I've fixed permissions - the latest had lots needing fixing, one from an Apple update of an Epson printer! I've also verified the drive and it's ok. In January "the volume was found to be corrupt" and I repaired it. ("Incorrect number of files had links"(?) and "volume bitmap needs repairs" are all I can read of my bad handwriting in my notes...)

I've EtreCheck a few times and am wondering about a few kernel extensions but it didn't think anything was wrong. Some are from apps I've used for years with no problems and are all up to date. One was from an app I don't have anymore (ScreenFlow - the net.telestream.driver.TelestreamAudio.)

One highlighted in red for the first time just now:

Problem System Launch Daemons:

[failed] com.apple.msrpc.netlogon.plist

Here's the whole report. Thank you for all the help.

Problem description:

Computer restarting on its own alot lately.

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Report generated February 28, 2015 at 3:29:16 PM EST

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) (Technical Specifications)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro8,2

1 2 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 18

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 512 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

AMD Radeon HD 6490M - VRAM: 256 MB

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.2 (14C109) - Time since boot: 0:57:21

Disk Information: ℹ️

Hitachi HTS545050B9A302 disk0 : (500.11 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

MacBookPro (disk1) / : 498.88 GB (232.98 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 499.25 GB Online

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Applications/Karabiner.app

[loaded] org.pqrs.driver.Karabiner (10.6.0 - SDK 10.10) [Click for support]

/Applications/Media players/AirParrot.app

[not loaded] com.squirrels.airparrot.framebuffer (3 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.squirrels.driver.AirParrotSpeakers (1.7 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

/Applications/Toast/Toast 11 Titanium (11.0.4) 709/Spin Doctor.app

[not loaded] com.hzsystems.terminus.driver (4) [Click for support]

/Applications/phone stuff/Phlink/Ovolab Phlink.app

[not loaded] com.ovolab.driver.phlink (1.0) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[loaded] com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.6 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.elgato.driver.DontMatchAfaTech (1.1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.elgato.driver.DontMatchCinergy450 (1.1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.elgato.driver.DontMatchCinergyXS (1.1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.elgato.driver.DontMatchEmpia (1.1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.elgato.driver.DontMatchVoyager (1.1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.hzsystems.driver.CDSDAudioCaptureSupport (1.5) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.roxio.BluRaySupport (1.1.6) [Click for support]

[loaded] net.telestream.driver.TelestreamAudio (1.1.0 - SDK 10.8) [Click for support]

/Users/[redacted]/Library/Services/ToastIt.service/Contents/MacOS

[not loaded] com.roxio.TDIXController (2.0) [Click for support]

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[failed] com.apple.msrpc.netlogon.plist

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.elgato.EyeConnect.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.JavaUpdateHelper.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] net.whatroute.helper.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.Livestation.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.spotify.webhelper.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

Mail Application (/Applications/Mail.app)

Safari Application (/Applications/Safari.app)

EyeTV Helper Application (/Library/Application Support/EyeTV/EyeTV Helper.app)

MailTab for Gmail Application (/Applications/gmail notifiers/MailTab for Gmail.app)

Karabiner Application (/Applications/Karabiner.app)

Go for Facebook Application (/Applications/Facebook stuff/use this/Go for Facebook.app)

MediaCentral Launcher Application Hidden (/Applications/Media players/MediaCentral/MediaCentral.app/Contents/Resources/MediaCentral Launcher.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

DirectorShockwave: Version: 12.1.1r151 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.2.4.18058 [Click for support]

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 3.2.0.16 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 16.0.0.305 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 16.0.0.305 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.2.4.18058 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0 - SDK 10.7

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 7 Update 75 Check version

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Picasa: Version: 1.0 [Click for support]

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

Safari Extensions: ℹ️

AdBlock

F.B. Purity - Cleans Up Facebook

Reload Button

Social Fixer

Auto Refresh

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

MediaCentral [Click for support]

MenuMeters [Click for support]

Perian [Click for support]

teleport [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Mobile backups: OFF

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

MacBookPro: Disk size: 498.88 GB Disk used: 265.89 GB

Destinations:

(my name) Time Caps [Network]

Total size: 497.62 GB

Total number of backups: 57

Oldest backup: 2014-12-01 05:11:55 +0000

Last backup: 2015-02-28 19:51:39 +0000

Size of backup disk: Too small

Backup size 497.62 GB < (Disk used 265.89 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

6% WindowServer

3% Safari

1% MailTab for Gmail

1% SystemUIServer

0% Karabiner_AXNotifier

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

756 MB com.apple.dock.extra

455 MB softwareupdated

309 MB Safari

275 MB Go for Facebook

187 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

2.31 GB Free RAM

3.94 GB Active RAM

912 MB Inactive RAM

1.42 GB Wired RAM

2.00 GB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Feb 28, 2015, 02:30:34 PM Self test - passed

Feb 28, 2015, 01:22:09 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Kernel_2015-02-28-132209_[redacted].panic [Click for details]

Feb 28, 2015, 01:08:32 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/rpcsvchost_2015-02-28-130832_[redacted].cpu_res ource.diag [Click for details]

Feb 27, 2015, 04:15:07 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/PluginProcess_2015-02-27-161507_[redacted].cras h

Feb 28, 2015 1:34 PM in response to my ginger

Thanks. I don't know about that one either.

I will try the extended test.

I checked my serial number on the service and support coverage page. It didn't say anything about being eligible for the repair so let's hope they will accept it when I come in to the Apple Store on Monday, having made my appt. I wouldn't be surprised if they say I'm not covered. I'll try though.

MBP restarting itself lately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.