Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Issue

I have operated three apple devices on a BT wifi router with no issues for the past six months; an iMac, macbook pro and an iPad. A few days ago, both my iMac and macbook pro started randomly dropping their network connection (on the router's 2.4GHz setting), whilst my iPad (on the 5Ghz setting) continued to work online just fine. I can remedy the issue for a very short time (less than 60s) by turning airport on and off, but it persists. I have tried changing the channel on the router to 1, 6, 11 etc with no success and have also manipulated the WPA settings - still no joy. Does anybody have any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 6:06 AM

1 reply

Feb 25, 2015 8:45 AM in response to DMorganOwen284

Hello DMorganOwen284,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If your Macs are dropping the Wi-Fi network connection, then I'd like you to please follow the steps outlined below.

Symptom: The network connection drops unexpectedly

• Your Mac may not not stay connected to your Wi-Fi network reliably.
  • Your Mac may stop accessing the Internet during use.

Solution

Use these steps if your computer disconnects from its Wi-Fi network unexpectedly.

1. Check your range to the Wi-Fi router and reduce the effect of interference.

If your computer is too far from your Wi-Fi router or your environment has too much Wi-Fi interference, then your computer may not detect the Wi-Fi network properly. The easiest way to check for range limits with your Wi-Fi network is to move your computer or your Wi-Fi router closer together and make sure that there are no obstructions (such as walls, cabinets, and so forth) between the router and your computer.

See Potential sources of wireless interference for more information about interference and solutions.
  2. Try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network. If your computer works fine when connected to a different Wi-Fi network, then the issue may be related to your network router or ISP. In that case, contact the manufacturer of your router or your ISP.

Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Wifi Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.