Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Locked

I recently downloaded Yosemite and I can't access iPhoto. I continue to get this message: The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions.

Here's what I have tried:

-I have tried to repair permissions and it says: The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it.

-I have tried to reboot. I also unplugged the monitor from the back.

-I went through Disk Utilities to unlock and give "Read and Write" access to all users

-I tried to rebuild the library but I can't get the First Aid option to open. It automatically goes to the locked message with no other options.

When I first used iPhoto back in 2006 I did have a different apple ID. I recently updated my Apple ID in the past few months. Is that what is blocking my permissions? If so-what can I do to fix that?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 7:44 AM

7 replies

Feb 24, 2015 8:25 AM in response to michellewjc

Couple of things to try:

Restart your mac and try launch iPhoto again.

If that fails:

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a file called ‘iPhoto’Lock.data or similar. Drag it to the Desktop. Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

If not: Where is your iPhoto Library stored? If it's on an External Disk, what format is that?

Feb 24, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hello Terence,

Thank you for your help in tackling my issue! So, here's something else. In my pictures folder, I can't find my iPhoto library. So, I went from Applications to iPhoto to "Show Package Contents" and the only folder in the Finder window is called "Contents." I can click on that and get 8 folders and plists. I also have one called Pkginfo. But, I have nothing that is like 'iPhoto'Lock.date or similar. Where should I go from here? Thank you!

iPhoto Locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.