Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are there genuine replacements available for battery in late 2008 macbook pro?

are there genuine replacement batteries available for a late 2008 macbook pro?

MacBook Pro, late 2008

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 9:10 AM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2016 12:59 AM in response to db7755

Hi,

i have exactly the same question and spoke to Apple support who say the product is classified by Apple as "obsolete". Despite the MacBook pro running fine Apple no longer manufacture spare parts for it.

built in obsolescence, of course.

QUite poor in my opinion.

they suggested contacting resellers but they won't have any if Apple don't.

last resort is online third parties. Basically you are on your own now. ***.

moral of this story is play the Apple game and give them your money every 3 years for a new / current device.

Jan 29, 2016 11:08 AM in response to db7755

I see Oglethorpe has already beat me to MacSales.com - I replaced the battery of my old notebook just before I sold it last fall so the new owner has had it for 16 months now. I checked it out for her over the holiday and the battery had over 100 cycles used with health still quite good.

Jan 29, 2016 6:24 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks all for responses.

In AU I am being hit up with USD$36 postage to get one of these from USA, owing to lithium content. From macsales, bhphoto or ifixit.

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get one from a nuPower distributor here. They already have added in the above shipping to their retail price!

Hate those el crappo eBay batteries. Not heard/seen any reviews of the Anker batteries, thus wary of them.

are there genuine replacements available for battery in late 2008 macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.