Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"If you exceed your iCloud storage limit, photos and videos won't upload to iCloud, and your library will no longer stay up to date across your devices." Really? Can't we support the existing "last 1k photos will be available in the cloud" model?

"If you exceed your iCloud storage limit, photos and videos won't upload to iCloud, and your library will no longer stay up to date across your devices." Really? Can't we support the existing "last 1k photos will be available in the cloud" model? If we don't do this, won't this kill auto-sync of new photos from iOS devices to our libraries on our Macs (if the Mac's Photos app has auto syncing with the cloud turned on) once we go over our 5gb limit? I have 350GB of photos in my Mac Photos library - I am not going to pay $20/month for 1tb iCloud storage. Please advise, Apple. Thank you.

Photos-OTHER, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 8:44 AM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 5:19 AM in response to ideoplastos

I agree and am baffled by this also. At first I was really excite about this new feature. Mostly because I would be able to seamlessly sync videos along with my PhotoStream. I just assumed there would be some systematic way to handle large libraries. Like removing older files as the current PhotoStream does. However, it appears that this new feature will simply 'shut down' when you reach your storage limit. This just makes no sense to me. I would have to double check, but I have all my photos and videos in iPhoto and stored on a 3 TB external hard drive and I think the full library is over 1 TB. So, even if I was willing to pay $20 a month for photo syncing (which I am not) I couldn't do it because my library is too large. Again I am just baffled why Apple cannot blend this new service with the existing PhotoSteam model. My favorite aspect of PhotoSteam is that is uploads all my iPad and iPhone Photos to my Mac for permanent storage and it seems this is lost in the new version.

"If you exceed your iCloud storage limit, photos and videos won't upload to iCloud, and your library will no longer stay up to date across your devices." Really? Can't we support the existing "last 1k photos will be available in the cloud" model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.