Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Could not create a backup" Apple Configurator issue

I manage two carts of iPads (iOS 8.1.3) for my small junior high school. We use Apple configurator to supervise them and to Check out/Check in. I currently have four iPads that are in the setup assistant mode but the configurator still thinks they are checked out to students. When I attempt to check them in I get an error message that reads, "Could not create a backup. The device is showing the setup assistant" and when I show details it shows Code 4. Consequently, I cannot check out another device to these students as the Configurator thinks they have already been assigned a device.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

iPad, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 24, 2015 11:32 AM

2 replies

Feb 24, 2015 12:27 PM in response to bpctech

The first thing I would check are permissions on directories that Apple Configurator read/writes. Maybe something there is preventing the backup.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that the code 4 error sometimes happens if you don't turn off "Find My iPad."

You could also try putting your iPad into recovery mode then unsupervising it in Configurator... then re-supervising it and try restoring the backup.

Hope this helps!

~Joe

"Could not create a backup" Apple Configurator issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.